General Election 2015 Page 34

I'm waiting until it becomes acceptable on BCG to say "*******"...

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 14th May 2015, 10:55 PM BST

I'm waiting until it becomes acceptable on BCG to say "*******"...

If it includes 3 hard c's and 2 k's I'd say it's never. ;)

Quote: keewik @ 14th May 2015, 9:10 PM BST

Bugger seems a very tame word these days.

How true, and yet if you say queer you have the PC brigade down on your neck.

All depends on context.

If you're saying 'f**k off you dirty queer' then yes, people don't tend to like it...

Especially the queers!

Quote: zooo @ 15th May 2015, 10:41 AM BST

All depends on context.

If you're saying 'f**k off you dirty queer' then yes, people don't tend to like it...

Can't agree with you there, when I was working at a high school the teachers would frown if you said queer in any context, so I used to wind them up by using it as often as possible in place of say, odd or unusual etc.

The context is you're winding them up :S

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 14th May 2015, 5:12 PM BST

Still why should we be afraid of female organs?

I am a bit.

Quote: Lee @ 15th May 2015, 11:17 AM BST

Prezunctly.

Quote: Tursiops @ 15th May 2015, 11:22 AM BST

I am a bit.

I'm led to believe that most these days are neat and tidy.....

Should've seen some of the growlers I had to deal with as a lad :S

Quote: Lee @ 15th May 2015, 11:17 AM BST

But I wasn't calling them 'f**k off you dirty queer', I was using it in its previous "innocent" meaning which it seems is not even allowed now. That's my point.

Men in the '70s:

I bet their downstairs matched their upstairs.

I hope hipsters aren't bringing that back too. :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th May 2015, 11:50 AM BST

But I wasn't calling them 'f**k off you dirty queer', I was using it in its previous "innocent" meaning which it seems is not even allowed now. That's my point.

But from what you just said you weren't using it innocently at all. You were using it pointedly, to wind them up.

Quote: zooo @ 15th May 2015, 11:52 AM BST

But from what you just said you weren't using it innocently at all. You were using it pointedly, to wind them up.

I didn't say I was using it innocently - it was deliberate, yes because I object to what was a perfectly innocent word being made unacceptable. My point was that you had to be careful using what was an innocent word, whereas (and this is where we seem to have drifted away from the original queery) bugger is an acceptable word that no one seems to object to.

It is strange that some innocent words or phrases can become so offensive. In our local paper this week, a headmistress had her job put in jeopardy when she said that one of the pupils had special needs. It seems that euphemism is now as controversial as those we've already learned to avoid.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/12943812.Headteacher_put_through_six_months_of_hell_for_saying_pupil_had__special_needs_/

Ms Felkin was scrutinised over at least a six-month period following a complaint and follow-up complaints from a parent-governor at the school.

The parent-governor complained that the "highly intelligent" student, who falls under the autistic spectrum, would be offended by the description.

Edited for added information.

I'm just not sure if you picked those two words because you think they mean the same thing, or that you just picked two words at random!

But yes, it is interesting that some words are perfectly acceptable and some aren't. You could easily tell your gran to stop buggering about and no one would bat an eyelid.