Hugh And I

Slightly surprised to see that show is coming to DVD. Just goes to show that requesting releases on this site works? :)

I have seen 7 episodes but they were very hard to watch because of the poor quality recordings. I do so hope that the quality on the DVD release will be better. A bit annoying that it's not including every surviving episode and I can't understand why not. :(

It really is absolutely wonderful news. I cannot wait.

That's the guy from Hancock's HH, isn't it? I like him in that one. Would like to see more of him. What's the date of release?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/hugh_and_i/buy/4381/hugh_and_i_dvd/

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st April 2015, 5:25 PM BST

That's the guy from Hancock's HH, isn't it? I like him in that one. Would like to see more of him.

Which one? Hugh or I? :) Either way: almost certainly.

Hugh Lloyd, who primarily featured in the TV series "Hancock" - the man who walked off with his wine gums in Blood Donor. :D

One of the first sitcoms I remember - along with Marriage Lines and Likely Lads.

Would be interesting to see it now to find out what I was laughing at.

I belive it spawned The Gnomes Of Dulwich.

Quote: Chappers @ 21st April 2015, 10:36 PM BST

I belive it spawned The Gnomes Of Dulwich.

Indirectly. Same on-screen starring duo. Different writer though.

Sounds and looks like Laurel and Hardy.

Quote: beaky @ 22nd April 2015, 11:02 AM BST

Sounds and looks like Laurel and Hardy.

Possibly very much a "modern" version.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd April 2015, 10:28 PM BST

Possibly very much a "modern" version.

Without the comedy you mean. ;)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st April 2015, 7:10 PM BST

Hugh Lloyd, who primarily featured in the TV series "Hancock" - the man who walked off with his wine gums in Blood Donor. :D

There is a tiny observation that I noticed many years ago that I don't know if other oldies on the forum have ever picked up on, and that is when Hancock gets out his packet of wine gums, passing them to Hugh Lloyd.........................

TH Do you like wine gums?

HL Oh, thank you very much

TH Don't take the black one

HL Mind you, they do a tube with all black ones now you know

TH I know but you cannot always get 'em

And that was so true. The black one was generally most people's favourite but there was usually only two/three of each flavour in a tube, and so it came to pass that Rowntree's brought out a tube with all black ones, BUT for some reason they were difficult to obtain - I remember this clearly and so Galton & Simpson picked up on this and included it in the Blood Donor.

Minor point but always makes me smile.

Pedantically speaking, shouldn't they be Fruit Gums?

As opposed to wine gums ?

Quote: Oldrocker @ 24th April 2015, 1:22 PM BST

Pedantically speaking, shouldn't they be Fruit Gums?

As opposed to wine gums ?

Yes! But if I had said Fruit Gums, you would have said Tony said "Wine Gums"
>_< So I could not win.

I suspect that the Beeb wouldn't have wanted the "brand name" used. They were very careful about advertising in those days, more than now.

So you are correct Mr. Pedant. ;)

I would think that maybe Fruit Gums was a brand name so couldn't be used at the time.

(Didn't read Hercules post!)

Both Tony and Hugh were of an age that would have known them as Wine Gums. So that little scene rings true to me.