Series 3 and 4 of 'Three Up, Two Down' on DVD?

Does anyone have any idea as to why this sitcom has only had Series 1 and 2 released on DVD?

Also would I be right in saying that a long time back GOLD had showed it on their channel?

It's a fair bet that it was on GOLD, back in the day when they had some integrity and variety to their schedule, not the same half dozen (admittedly great) shows back-to-back ad nauseam.

As for DVD, because it had the misfortune to be released by the atrocious people at Universal Playback.

Thanks Aaron.

Now being given a rerun on BBC2 in the mid afternoon slot. Don't think I've seen it since its original broadcast?

Great to see that BBC2 have begun a repeat run of Three Up, Two Down, within their Afternoon Classics strand. I do hope they show all four series of this very enjoyable and much underrated sitcom.

Unfortunately, according to various online TV listings, it looks like Series 2 Episode 3 ('Arrivals and Departures') will be omitted from this repeat run, for reasons yet unknown. I hope there are no more episodes left out.

Alas, tis no classic!

:) Beginning to look like all 4 series will be shown. I don't think this has been seen on TV this century? I have some old UK Gold recordings (very poor quality) that I will now throw out and replace. I want to see an official DVD release of Series 3 & 4. The Series 1 & 2 release was about 11 years ago now and I would have thought that the grotty Universal Playback studio's licence/release rights must have run out by now?

Even back then it demonstrates good old BBC left wing bias, with Sam deriding the then Conservative govt in the last episode of series 2!

Quote: D Page @ 27th February 2015, 10:24 AM GMT

Great to see that BBC2 have begun a repeat run of Three Up, Two Down, within their Afternoon Classics strand. I do hope they show all four series of this very enjoyable and much underrated sitcom.

Unfortunately, according to various online TV listings, it looks like Series 2 Episode 3 ('Arrivals and Departures') will be omitted from this repeat run, for reasons yet unknown. I hope there are no more episodes left out.

Indeed this episode was omitted. Perhaps due to Sam getting his leg over with Daphne's posh friend being deemed inappropriate for 1615 weekdays?

One of the funniest things of this is that we the viewer are expected to believe Lyssette Anthony works part time in the local garden centre!

Quote: gb901 @ 11th March 2015, 4:54 PM GMT

Indeed this episode was omitted. Perhaps due to Sam getting his leg over with Daphne's posh friend being deemed inappropriate for 1615 weekdays?

I received a reply from the BBC, regarding why Sr.2 Ep.3 was omitted. Here's the relevant part of the reply I received:

"...A decision was made not to show episode 3 of series 2 as it contained unsuitable language that we were unable to edit out."

I have carefully played this episode through and there are, at two separate instances during the episode, references to breasts (though the word itself is not used). According to what I've read online, referring to breasts is a no-no with daytime TV.

There is the odd mild swear word uttered, such as "d*mn" and "bl*ody", but I assume these are permitted to be used during the afternoon(?). The only other possibilities, from what I can make out, are that there's a suggestive remark about "stuffing" a penguin, and also, Sam uses the phrase "if we got down to the business", but I doubt if there would be any problem with either of these(?).

The word "a*se" was used in Sr.3 Ep.2 and they showed it without editing out that word, so I do find it strange what they will and will not permit during the afternoons.

Quote: D Page @ 14th March 2015, 1:56 PM GMT

I received a reply from the BBC, regarding why Sr.2 Ep.3 was omitted. Here's the relevant part of the reply I received:

"...A decision was made not to show episode 3 of series 2 as it contained unsuitable language that we were unable to edit out."

I have carefully played this episode through and there are, at two separate instances during the episode, references to breasts (though the word itself is not used). According to what I've read online, referring to breasts is a no-no with daytime TV.

There is the odd mild swear word uttered, such as "d*mn" and "bl*ody", but I assume these are permitted to be used during the afternoon(?). The only other possibilities, from what I can make out, are that there's a suggestive remark about "stuffing" a penguin, and also, Sam uses the phrase "if we got down to the business", but I doubt if there would be any problem with either of these(?).

The word "a*se" was used in Sr.3 Ep.2 and they showed it without editing out that word, so I do find it strange what they will and will not permit during the afternoons.

what no "tits" or "knockers"?

Quote: gb901 @ 15th March 2015, 3:01 PM GMT

what no "tits" or "knockers"?

I agree, despite what I've read online, I'd be surprised if they would have a problem with either its reference, or the context in which it was used, in the two instances within this episode. I struggle to find any other explanation, though.

Whatever it was, it must have been wholly unacceptable, as Major Bradshaw is forgiven by Daphne in Sr.2 Ep.3, for deceiving her about the cooking of the Chinese meal. It is nonsensical, to the viewer watching these repeats, that they are seen to have a falling out (at the end of Ep.2), and then the next time they are seen together, they are both on perfectly good terms again!