Open All Hours Page 2

I knew Julie Shipley who played Granville's girlfriend (Stephanie) in one episode.
Never seen her in anything since although she did run a pub not far from me.

The last work she was in was Truckers in 87.

Currently watching Open All Hours repeats on BBC Two, and noticed that they edited out a scene featuring a young boy smoking.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 2nd August 2013, 12:45 PM BST

I knew Julie Shipley who played Granville's girlfriend (Stephanie) in one episode.
Never seen her in anything since although she did run a pub not far from me.

As you say, only in one episode and not what I would call a girlfriend, just someone he saw he was trying to impress?

And didn't he have the hots for the milk delivery lady who he had nearly a more successful time with?

Quite fancied her meself. Lovey

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th February 2015, 4:22 PM GMT

And didn't he have the hots for the milk delivery lady who he had nearly a more successful time with?

He did, yes. But she was already engaged or married. Certainly had a serious long-term boyfriend.

Quote: Aaron @ 19th February 2015, 8:56 PM GMT

He did, yes. But she was already engaged or married. Certainly had a serious long-term boyfriend.

Wasn't she engaged to her fat curly-haired boss?

Correct!

This is among my top three all time Brit sitcoms. The inimitable Ronnie Barker brings Arkwright to life like few actors could.

I think this sitcom is so funny I've put as number 2 in the list of TV comedy I've seen. It came into my mind today because I delivered a parcel to somebody with the surname Blewit, and Arkwright had a customer called Mrs Blewitt played by Kathy Staff. He says with a stutter as she enters the shop "Oh hello Mrs err Brr Brr Brr Blewitt".

I had to laugh at the producers having us viewers believe that David Jason was a boy in this. He was 40 in season 1980.

Quote: comedymania @ 19th June 2018, 7:22 AM

I had to laugh at the producers having us viewers believe that David Jason was a boy in this. He was 40 in season 1980.

By the same token, he played an old man in Porridge. It's all down to the magic of make-up. And acting skills of course.

It has been forever thus - Gerald Campion was 40 years old when he finished playing Billy Bunter of Greyfriars School in the 50s/60s.

Peter Cleall was 15 years old when he played a schoolboy in Carry On Teacher and was still playing a schoolboy in Please Sir 12 years later.

More recently the stars of Derry Girls were all a lot older than their on-screen personae.

Similarly, Lennie Weinrib and Hamilton Camp, who played Fred and Barney respectively in The Flintstone Kids cartoon, were both in their 50s when doing the voices of those prehistoric prepubescent children.

As for Granville in OAA, although Arkwright calls him lad (as there's a generational age gap); I don't think the character is supposed to a boy. It's just that grocers had delivery "boys" - so the term went with the job.

The running joke was - he was an adult but treat as a child by Granville.
An innocent and inexperienced adult that constantly tried to grow up

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th June 2018, 1:31 PM

By the same token, he played an old man in Porridge. It's all down to the magic of make-up. And acting skills of course.

It has been forever thus - Gerald Campion was 40 years old when he finished playing Billy Bunter of Greyfriars School in the 50s/60s.

Peter Cleall was 15 years old when he played a schoolboy in Carry On Teacher and was still playing a schoolboy in Please Sir 12 years later.

More recently the stars of Derry Girls were all a lot older than their on-screen personae.

Good points..but Jason looked 40.. never looked young enuff to play a 20 year old as some actors/actresses can.

Love the show. One of the best shows ever. Ronnie Barker's best work IMO. Loved his character and stutter. David Jason is excellent in this too. My favourite episode is the gingerbread cake one and the toilet roll and for biscuit one. A classic