Hungry

Not sure if this is the right section because I'm unsure to class Hungry, the sitcom commissioned by Channel 4 during the Irish potato famine, as either a British or an Irish comedy. I'm sure this thread will be moved to the right place if I'm wrong.

I can understand why a lot of people in Ireland are uncomfortable with such a comedy. Having said that, many of the best sitcoms have been set during terrible events: Blackadder Goes Forth in WWI, Dad's Army in WWII and so on.

The real issue for me is whether a British broadcaster should be allowed to commission such a sitcom. If it was an Irish broadcaster setting a comedy during the famine, there would probably be less hostility, but as this sitcom is being commissioned by the country that once occupied (and in the eyes of many still does occupy) Ireland, it becomes a bigger problem. I personally would want to see the results of the programme. I'd rather judge for myself if it is offensive or not than for it to be censored before it has begun.

(I should point out my ancestors were Irish navvies who came over to England during the famine.)