Brian Pern: A Life In Rock Page 2

It feels like I've fallen into another dimension....
? ? ? ? ?

Quote: radiat10n @ 10th December 2014, 5:37 PM GMT

Something 'Spinal Tap' never managed (sorry, it must be one of the most overrated films in history).

Don't be sorry.........and yes!

I think the problem I had with Spinal Tap was that everyone had said how brilliant it was.
So when I watched it I had high hopes and ended up finding it very disappointing.

Now the Rutles on the other hand, I thought that was hilarious.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th December 2014, 4:44 PM GMT

Wouldn't pernitent be more apt? :D

Whistling nnocently

I wondered why my spellcheck was objecting to that word!

Just watched it. Quite enjoyable and I thought Michael Kitchen stole the show - always liked him and he was brilliant in this.

Yes - quite enjoyable. The funniest bit was driving his chauffuer around because he'd been banned from driving.

Usually a spoof involves altering the subject in some way in order to comment on the original, and thus create humour; but this series often just lifts the source material and recreates it. For example, Gabriel used to come on stage in outfits which were already ludicrous, so to dress Day in a similar outfit does not satirise the original. Similarly with the plasticine animations, and the whole War of the Worlds bit.

It's interesting that people still find this funny despite the 'unconventional' approach to satire.

I think that was my feelings too. Most of the ridiculousness actually happened.

I know what you mean. I felt that about a lot of The Rutles, and I feel it about bits of Brian Pern - I mean, showing "Peter Gabriel" in a different sort of stupid costume is no more rock parody than printing the UKIP manifesto in a different font is political satuire. There needs to be a lens to transform the image. And, Lazzard will be glad to hear, that's why Spinal Tap is much much better (and I like Bad News too).

Having said that, I think this series is a huge improvement on the first, because it's far more sit com than smug parody (or should that be belated fantasy embodiment? I bet Day wishes he were a rock star), and the performances are impeccable.

And I pissed myself at the Roger Moore bits this week Laughing out loud

Just to be clear
I don't think this is brillaint or hilarious, just enjoyable & funny.
I did enjoy Spinal Tap. And as good comedy films are few and far between, to say the least. I won't call it overrated.

I haven't watched the latest one but after that mention of Roger Moore I know I'm going to find those bits funny as It's my generation & Roger Moore is funny anyway

Although It's now been hyped up a bit, so may be Spinal Tap all over again and I won't enjoy it as much as I could have

Thanks Gappy
Why don't you spoil the next episode of the weakest link for me as well while you're at it!

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 19th December 2014, 10:52 PM GMT

Thanks Gappy
Why don't you spoil the next episode of the weakest link for me as well while you're at it!

Was that really much of a spoiler?

Not in my opinion
That's why I was satirising it in a hilarious way
Now can we get back on topic please

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 19th December 2014, 10:52 PM GMT

Sure: it will not be one hundredth as good as Only Connect Cool

Currently enjoying this. Shame I missed the 1st sries.

I enjoy this and Spinal Tap. The only problem is that while there are ridiculous egomaniacal prats like Axl Rose, Bozo and Liam Gallagher still around, fact will always be stranger than fiction.