Love Thy Neighbour Page 8

Not sure if Mind Your Language has been repeated or not here, but I do know it's been seen and rather popular in some of those countries it supposedly mocks.

Quote: Aaron @ September 14 2012, 2:27 PM BST

That I am not certain of. They edited a lot in the early days, and even today continue to bleep the slightest 'bloody' during the day.

That's not the same then. The name calling really was at least half the fun of watching LTN, sad as that may sound to some. Actually I'd better check the web reviews before I buy, to see if the DVDs have been bleeped out!

I have the DVDs and they are NOT edited.

Rolling eyes Oh good.

Quote: Tursiops @ September 12 2012, 10:33 PM BST

I just remember kids at school parroting the racial insults. We only had one black kid in my year, poor bastard.

The most quoted line from Love Thy Neighbour in the schoolyard in Australia was Jacko's "I'll 'ave arf." His dimwittedness was the highlight of the show for many Australian school children. I don't recall any parroting of "sambo" or "nig-nog" - possibly because such terms weren't in currency in Australia - not that the Australian education system had eradicated racism. When I attended a dirt-poor central school in the middle of nowhere, there were no "Abo jokes" because many of the students were Aborigines. Yet when I moved to a classy, more elite, urban school, where there were no Aborigines, there was no end to the "Abo jokes". Years later I moved to Kensal Green and heard endless complaints in my local pub about the "Sootys and Sweeps" and also heard "nig-nog" used for the first time outside Love Thy Neighbour. These days I see racism is stronger in parts of Asia than in the West - such as Chinese schools refusing to hire English teachers if they are black. And an Indonesian company terminating the contract of a newly arrived American expat because he turned out to be black. Maybe it's time for a Chinese remake of Love Thy Neighbour. Singapore has a mixed-marriage sitcom (Indian married to Chinese) that plays on racial stereotypes, especially with the in-laws, but it is too saccharine (and boring) to be funny.

Bought series 2 & 3 a couple of weeks ago. Had never seen LTN before, but had a pretty good idea what it was about. First time I watched it I thought it was pretty crap, but then I decided to watch both series 2 & 3 again and enjoyed it much more second time round.

Can I ask all of those who have seen all 7 series of LTN which is their favourite series and why?

Cheers

I don't have a favourite series, but I do think it's slightly better towards the start of the run. A bit fresher, and there's a point at which Eddie's ritual humiliation - whilst others get little or no comeuppance for their prejudices and stupidity - becomes a tad tiring.

Quote: Aaron @ 19th December 2014, 12:16 PM GMT

I don't have a favourite series, but I do think it's slightly better towards the start of the run. A bit fresher, and there's a point at which Eddie's ritual humiliation - whilst others get little or no comeuppance for their prejudices and stupidity - becomes a tad tiring.

Thanks Aaron....knew I could count on you.

No worries.

P.S. 8 series. ;)

I'd go for the film myself as the best way to sample LTN. It's up there with the better sitcom movies I'd say and pretty funny if you like that broad 70s humour. And there's a classic scene with Eddie getting into hot water. Saw it at the pics and larfed me ead orff. Ah the 70s. :)

Can anyone explain why Gwendolyn Watts who played Joan in the pilot episode, was replaced by Kate Williams? I just watched the pilot on YouTube, & thought she was well suited for the part.

Personally I've no idea. It's possible she didn't want to be involved or was not available when it came to series.

Just seen series 5 for the first time. The episode with the spider is my favourite from this series.

Can anyone tell me who has seen the 1973 movie if it's worth buying, as invariably the film version of most sitcoms are sometimes poor in comparison. It's just that I'm thinking of buying the movie but would be interested in hearing people's thoughts first.

Quote: Aaron @ 14th September 2012, 2:40 PM BST

Not sure if Mind Your Language has been repeated or not here, but I do know it's been seen and rather popular in some of those countries it supposedly mocks.

Mind Your Language has been repeated here but I couldn't remember when and on what channel until I looked it up. It seems it was back in 2007 on Men & Motors late at night. I do remember they did show Love Thy Neighbour at some point. It could well have been UK Gold back in the 1990s. I wonder if every episode was shown? The DVD releases I think may be a couple of episodes short as they were banned. UK Gold were much braver in the early days showing a bigger range of sitcoms than they do today and some of them still haven't made it to DVD.

Quote: Stephen Ryder @ 27th January 2015, 7:49 PM GMT

Can anyone tell me who has seen the 1973 movie if it's worth buying, as invariably the film version of most sitcoms are sometimes poor in comparison. It's just that I'm thinking of buying the movie but would be interested in hearing people's thoughts first.

I have seen the movie and own it on DVD. It was a long time ago but I do remember a bit when Eddie and Bill were at work and they went on strike with the blacks on one side and the whites on the other. Think it may also be the time Bill puts Eddie in enormous sized cooking pot and pretends he's actually going to cook and eat him.