Open mic nights for beginners

Hey all,

Just wondering if anybody could share some open mic nights (based in London) that are aimed at beginners? I know of the new act night at Shoreditch Cafe and Comedy Virgins at The Cavendish Arms, the latter of which I've booked a slot at, but I was wondering if there are any others I'm missing?

Many thanks in advance, you generous sods.

All Open Mics are for non experts by definition?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 14th December 2014, 1:30 PM GMT

All Open Mics are for non experts by definition?

He's not asked for open mic for non-experts, but ones for beginners. Some open mics are suitable for beginners and quite friendly, supportive places for people doing their first gig, others aren't so forgiving and really want people who've at least 10-20 gigs under their belt already. This may not be enforced by the organisers but the local crowd of regulars - crowds at some nights are quite open to nervous experimentation whilst others seem to expect something similar to Live at the Apollo, and you can die horribly if not polished enough yet...

Sadly I can't help with London-based open mic, but if you ever venture North I believe that Comedy Balloon in Manchester has a good rep as an open mic well worth doing for Londoners spreading out. It's the sort of night where there'll be a mix of absolute first timers, fledgling stand-ups, people with a couple of years under their belts and semi-pros (occasionally pros) testing out new material. It's my local night, so I may be biased, but it's usually a very nice atmosphere whatever your experience.

Not to pick holes, but if you told me that a open mic group was a rep for comedians, I wouldn't be expecting beginners...

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 15th December 2014, 6:07 PM GMT

Not to pick holes, but if you told me that a open mic group was a rep for comedians, I wouldn't be expecting beginners...

Not sure if I'm reading that correctly.

I said Comedy Balloon has (not is) a good rep - as in has a good reputation. Not sure if your use of rep is the same meaning or maybe rep as in repertory.

So to clarify: Comedy Balloon has a good reputation as being very friendly to beginners as well as more seasoned hands.