The Sitcom Mission 2014 Page 21

Was it good then? :)

Scotland said No!

I managed to nip along to this. It was good actually. Four funny scripts, very well acted. I enjoyed it. Sat next to one of the writers who was squirming with nerves throughout the read out of his script. It went down well though. Don't know who won ....

Quote: Mattytheswan @ 20th September 2014, 9:40 PM BST

I managed to nip along to this. It was good actually. Four funny scripts, very well acted. I enjoyed it. Sat next to one of the writers who was squirming with nerves throughout the read out of his script. It went down well though. Don't know who won ....

For the first time ever the judges were torn between two scripts. We're glad about this. We really don't want a situation where there is one clear winner and three there to make up the numbers. So....

The joint winners of the 2014 Sitcom Mission were:

Adapting by Rob Bond and Warts and All by James Alleyne.

The writers of the two scripts that didn't win didn't exactly go away empty-handed as their work was seen by commissioners, production companies and literary agents. All people who can further their careers. So congrats are due to Laura Harvey for Minicab Detective and Joanne Lau and Mat Rees for Mostly Human.

Hi, I present for Radio Four and also write comedy. I have written two projects 1, a series of monologues about a 30ty something and the dating game, as well as two episodes of a series call Honest, tracing the lives of singletons in their middle ages living in a city. Both have received some interest from producers, one was nearly produced, it's been frustrating to get so far but not quite over the line with a production. I'd now like to re-think the scripts by working with a comedy writing partner. If you have some comedy writing experience, and preferably some production success I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Quote: stephen carver @ 21st September 2014, 4:51 PM BST

Hi, I present for Radio Four and also write comedy. I have written two projects 1, a series of monologues about a 30ty something and the dating game, as well as two episodes of a series call Honest, tracing the lives of singletons in their middle ages living in a city. Both have received some interest from producers, one was nearly produced, it's been frustrating to get so far but not quite over the line with a production. I'd now like to re-think the scripts by working with a comedy writing partner. If you have some comedy writing experience, and preferably some production success I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Hi Stephen

Probably best to start a new thread for this, and good luck!

Cheers, Declan

Brilliant day at the Comedy Conference. Inspirational stuff from guest speakers of the calibre of Graham Lineman, Andy Hamilton and Damon Beesley. My mind was buzzing when I left.

Already looking forward to next year's.

Quote: simon wright @ 30th November 2014, 12:44 PM GMT

Brilliant day at the Comedy Conference. Inspirational stuff from guest speakers of the calibre of Graham Lineman, Andy Hamilton and Damon Beesley. My mind was buzzing when I left.

Already looking forward to next year's.

Wouldn't praise for the Big Comedy Conference make more sense on this thread?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/30974/

Hello!

Will the Sitcom Mission be returning in 2015 ...? :)

Quote: Alan O'Brien @ 11th December 2014, 9:24 AM GMT

Hello!

Will the Sitcom Mission be returning in 2015 ...? :)

Hi Alan

Yes, we're doing Sitcom Mission 2015 a bit later due to our teaching commitments at City Academy in the early part of the year, so we're launching on April 1 with a closing date of June 30.

Quote: Declan @ 12th December 2014, 10:40 AM GMT

Hi Alan

Yes, we're doing Sitcom Mission 2015 a bit later due to our teaching commitments at City Academy in the early part of the year, so we're launching on April 1 with a closing date of June 30.

I anticipate a £1 million commission for the winning writer(s) to be disclosed on the morning of the launch day.

Those awfully nice people at City Academy are doing a big old discount on our sitcom writing courses right now, with 30% off if you use the code XMAS30:

https://www.city-academy.com/sitcom-writing?utm_source=cmonitor&utm_medium=image&utm_campaign=decnews16

They make fabbo Christmas presents.

Just saying...

We're back!

Sorry about the long radio silence. We've been busy as usual.

The Sitcom Mission competition for 2015 will launch on April 1st (this is not a joke) and closing date is June 30th.

Get writing.

We'll be publishing guidelines soon, so keep an eye on our homepage, but we're basically looking for 15 minute, self-contained scripts. By 'self-contained' we simply mean that you don't send us the first half of your 30 minute script.

Simon and Declan

PS although we launch on April 1st, it's not a great idea to send us your script immediately. The signal you send is 'even though I've got 12 weeks to work on this, I can't be arsed doing any rewrites.'.

Couple of questions that I can't see in the FAQ's

1. BBC writers room open their doors in March. Is it advisable to write a different script for the Sitcom Mission or send in the shinier version of the same script to yourselves?

2. I'm working on something at the moment which I have already posted in the critique section. Are you looking for something to showcase that is not already in the public domain or will it be okay to submit?

3. Are questions 1 & 2 moot since you'll be automatically binning any entry I send in anyway because of my crappy annual Sitcom Mission skits. (P.S. I hear there is a worldwide shortage of fictional Zombies).

Yes I actually intend to enter this year. There's a creased, slightly biro-marked tenner behind the clock on the fire with your names on it.

Unless you've bumped the price up.

1. BBC writers room open their doors in March. Is it advisable to write a different script for the Sitcom Mission or send in the shinier version of the same script to yourselves?

We have no problem with reading scripts submitted elsewhere. If Writers Room are asking for 15 minute scripts too, then by all means send us the same script.

2. I'm working on something at the moment which I have already posted in the critique section. Are you looking for something to showcase that is not already in the public domain or will it be okay to submit?

Good idea to ask for feedback in the Critique section. I think it was Sam Bain who said that feedback and deadlines are the most valuable things you can have.