Doctor Who... Page 1,103

When it was broadcast Godot.

Vietnam War POWs treasure the nuggets of sweetcorn they could seive from the guards shit as a delicacy.

I kinda doubt any of them ordered it Pho You Vietnamese noodle house when they got home.

The Colin Baker years were the Blitz years of Dr Who, when the faithful desperately tried to raise morale whilst the BBC bombed them with increasingly shit stories.

I always liked The Mysterious Planet as a nice slice of 80s sci-fi.

The Doctor/Peri relationship is very well written in that episode as well. Probably their best pairing after Revelation of the Daleks.

Joan Sims was miscast, but you can't have everything.

Quote: sootyj @ 9th December 2014, 7:42 PM GMT

When it was broadcast Godot.

Vietnam War POWs treasure the nuggets of sweetcorn they could seive from the guards shit as a delicacy.

I kinda doubt any of them ordered it Pho You Vietnamese noodle house when they got home.

The Colin Baker years were the Blitz years of Dr Who, when the faithful desperately tried to raise morale whilst the BBC bombed them with increasingly shit stories.

Vengeance on Varos looked like shit*, but God knows the script was several IQ points above anything Moffatt has dished up as show-runner.

*Apart from Sil, who was once of the best Who aliens ever.

Sil was great an unusually daring bit of hiring a disabled actor.

The plot like a lot of early Who was an over extended muddle, I guess because they had to make the sets last to stretch the budget.

I dunno contemporaneously it wasn't saying anything more interesting than other Cyber punky shows of the time like Max Headroom.

Talking of Doctor Who and Max Headroom, this piece of TV hacking remains one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdgAMYjYSs

Surprised you muppets aren't all over this one already.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/22/armando-iannucci-doctor-who-the-thick-of-it-alan-partridge-veep

Turning up to express your intellectual superiority via a bit of pop culture drivel?

You are renegade car park and I claim my 5 shillings!

Watching the classic who on Horror

Interesting Tom Baker ended with Logopolis, a rather good idea. But lost in a rather silly and sadistic mess of a story, tying to do way too much with lousy fx and too many effects.

Before moving onto Kinda with Davidson, which is just great and a really effective, witty story.

Quote: sootyj @ 10th December 2014, 12:01 AM GMT

Sil was great an unusually daring bit of hiring a disabled actor.

General Tom Thumb was hired in the 19th century, wasn't he, if not for Doctor Who?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 27th May 2009, 12:15 AM BST

Tom Baker saved me from a few bullies when I was younger.
They'd surrounded me in Wood Lane & suddenly Doctor Who comes riding along on his bike and tells them to clear off and made sure I was ok.

As I never found myself in a similar situation since I always wondered if it would happen every time I was outnumbered & in trouble, Tom Baker to the rescue.

Errr

:D

Maybe this should be moved to the 'Tom Baker saved my skin' thread.

just stumbled across this, greatest BCG story ever.

Watching the Old Who, John Pertwee is rapidly becoming a fave Old Who and comparing well with new who.

Troughton's good, but his episodes over all seemed to suffer from BBC amateurish production values.

And Baker is just a bit too mad and wacky to engage. Actually watched Robots of Death all the way through on Horror Channel. And it's just unbearably silly and amateurish.

Did like Fang Rock though, with lot of Victoriana and fiendish sub plots.

But Pertwee with all those recurring characters, Venusian Akido and taking it's self seriously, with proper stories that tell a story and go in a straight line are great.

It's also interesting how much better Sara Jane is then Jo Grant as an assisstant.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 18th October 2014, 10:16 PM BST

Who?

:D

Quote: sootyj @ 22nd June 2015, 3:49 PM BST

But Pertwee with all those recurring characters, Venusian Akido and taking it's self seriously, with proper stories that tell a story and go in a straight line are great.

The Silurians is an amazing story. It's just a shame that the Silurians voices are wildly over the top.

Another Douglas Adams reference in the new series. Yawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0csVdLbDMO4

well that doesn't look good.

I mean they can't find a minutes worth of interesting looking stuff in the whole new series.

And nope I don't count Missy/Master meeting the Daleks.