Lillyhammer

Starring Steve Van Zandt as a Mafia informer in hiding, this fish-out-of-water comedy drama from Norway is better than Green Grass of Home but it isn't the Sopranos either.

Trying to bribe the uptight jobcentre bloke was very funny, but not sure if has legs once the 'cultural misunderstanding' scenarios are exhausted.

I liked the sheep's head bit.

What channel?

BBC 4, so there's probably a repeat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00x1c6f/Lilyhammer_Episode_1/

Lilyhammer* by the looks of it.

Yeh watching it at the moment

bit dull

This is hitting it's stride, quite fun.

The second episode was certainly more interesting, with a lot more happening, but I still have reservations, not least with the central character, who looks less menacing than most OAPs, but just as credible as one as the boyfriend of that blond. I could believe in him as the bean counter in the Sopranos, but not as a tough guy with lightning reflexes in a fight.

Also, the plot staggers along in a disappointingly contrived manner which is neither funny, nor seriously dramatic. Finally, some of the characters, like the members of the inept police force, are just a bit too silly, but not in a funny way. And why is a successful club owner still driving around in an electric car? It was a minor joke in the first place, which long ago ran out of juice.

Still, the scenery is nice, and some of the Norwegian actors are watchable.

(Are we being asked to sympathise with Frank despite the violence and blackmailing?)

I'm loving it :)

Quote: Marc P @ September 21 2012, 2:28 PM BST

I'm loving it :)

Is that your way of denouncing it as the McDonalds of television?

Maybe a Wendy's or a Yardley Inn tavern burger!

:)

This is a great little show, IMO.

So it's come to an end. I think it had its moments, and I grew to like the characters.

Quote: Geffers @ November 6 2012, 3:17 PM GMT

So it's come to an end. I think it had its moments, and I grew to like the characters.

I persevered (translation: girlfriend wanted to watch it), but didn't really warm to it. The finale was a bit stupid, with some weak plotting, and a tendency to be silly rather than surreal, which it could have been, with a bit more originality.

Series 3 has just come out on Netflix.

One of those shows you have to concentrate fully on to understand (unless you speak Norwegian) but despite this not seeming like omething I'd ever be into, I enjoy it.

I'm going to watch S03E01 tonight!