BCG Big Comedy Conference 2014

Admin don't seem to have a thread about this years Big Comedy Conference and if you're like me, and often don't read the newsletters or the rest of the site, you may have missed this.

Since it seemed well worthwhile last year I thought it's time it has a thread (whilst there's still time to book train travel from elsewhere for just a single arm and leg).

WHAT: The BCG Big Comedy Conference 2014
WHEN: Saturday 29th November 09:00-19:00 (with later networking in the hotel bar encouraged)
WHERE: Clerkenwell, London (near Old Street station)
WHO: If it's anything like last year lots of industry peeps who've been there, done it and might even be wearing the tee shirt and absolute shedloads of writers/performers who've taken a day to venture out of the shed and meet other similar timid typewriter tappers.
WHY: What the hell does that mean? Why not?

COST: £119 Early Bird deal (not sure when that ends and it goes to the regular £169)

The cost includes lunch (they actually say free lunch, but we all know that means the cost of lunch has been assimilated into the ticket price).

Full details are at https://www.comedy.co.uk/make_it/conference/

As you may have guessed, I've booked my ticket, but please don't let that put you off.

If you do go and I've spoken to you before, apologies if I don't recognise you - I really am terrible with names and faces.

Have a good time, JD.

Thanks Dave. I'm terrible at marketing, so thanks for posting this!

Yes, as Dave says, off the back of the success of the last, we're doing another.

If anyone has any questions do post here, and I'll try and answer them!

We'll be announcing all the speakers soon (in batches). Some exciting people are coming along to talk!

Would love to come to this but out of the country at the minute, might come next year though.

Really glad this is happening again as I couldn't make last year. Will some/most of the other speakers be announced before the early bird deal ends (and what's the early bird deadline)? Thanks

Quote: The Producer @ 14th October 2014, 12:58 PM BST

Really glad this is happening again as I couldn't make last year. Will some/most of the other speakers be announced before the early bird deal ends (and what's the early bird deadline)? Thanks

We'll probably have about half announced before the Early Bird deadline (some people are being a bit slow definitely saying 'yes', but fair enough as we're asking some very busy people to find time to join us)

I think we'll be releasing the first batch of names early next week, if not before. Rest assured everyone we're booking is an expert on their subject so you can book with the confidence we'll deliver a useful day.

Call us lazy, but we've not decided upon the early bird deadline yet. It's likely to be somewhere around the start of November though. I'll give a full fortnight notice though so you won't miss it.

I had an early bird deadline,that's what you get for dating a milk lady.

Quote: Mark @ 16th October 2014, 2:44 PM BST

We'll probably have about half announced before the Early Bird deadline (some people are being a bit slow definitely saying 'yes', but fair enough as we're asking some very busy people to find time to join us)

I think we'll be releasing the first batch of names early next week, if not before. Rest assured everyone we're booking is an expert on their subject so you can book with the confidence we'll deliver a useful day.

Call us lazy, but we've not decided upon the early bird deadline yet. It's likely to be somewhere around the start of November though. I'll give a full fortnight notice though so you won't miss it.

Thanks Mark - helpful

Quote: sootyj @ 16th October 2014, 3:18 PM BST

I had an early bird deadline, that's what you get for dating a milk lady.

Groan ;)

Quote: Mark @ 16th October 2014, 2:44 PM BST

I think we'll be releasing the first batch of names early next week.

It's looking like Tuesday we'll be ready to start putting out lots more info, but because I'm already itching to spread the news, here's a clue as to one of the other people we've got coming along: His initials are SN and he's written many sitcoms, including one starring characters with the initials GS and TS.

In other news, if anyone is in Manchester, bunk off work on Wednesday 29th October and come to our sessions at the Cofilmic Festival. Just £5. I'll be at the back of the room, so say hello!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/make_it/cofilmic_2014_sessions/

OK, we're now starting to announce speakers daily. Simon Nye is amongst those we've now revealed, and we've got some more huge names to announce over the next week...

https://www.comedy.co.uk/make_it/conference/

Oh, yeah, if you're in Manchester join us next Wednesday there: https://www.comedy.co.uk/make_it/cofilmic_2014_sessions/

Me again. Today's addition to the line-up is Mark Burton. One of Britain's most successful comedy writers (with John O'Farrell he was one of the original writers on Have I Got News For You), as a screenwriter Mark's Hollywood hits include the original Madagascar movie and Wallace & Gromit - The Curse Of The Were Rabbit. He's co-written and is directing the forthcoming Shaun The Sheep Movie too!

I've now bought a ticket. If that doesn't sell it to everyone, I don't know what will...

Quote: The Producer @ 27th October 2014, 6:09 PM GMT

I've now bought a ticket. If that doesn't sell it to everyone, I don't know what will...

Yay! Thanks. You'll be getting to see the following two then...

I'm delighted that we'll be welcoming two of the country's finest comedy writers to the conference, the multi-talented Guy Jenkin and Andy Hamilton. Together they've written for dozens of TV and Radio shows, as well as creating and writing not one but two hit comedy TV series - Drop The Dead Donkey and Outnumbered. As you all probably know, they recently adapted the latter into the hit movie What We Did On Our Holiday starring Rosamund Pike, David Tennant and Billy Connolly. It'll be interesting to hear how the handled the scripting on that.

Like most people attending, whether as panellists or audience, Guy and Andy began their careers writing jokes and sketches for topical radio shows. I'm looking forward to hearing more about how they started out, how they moved into sitcom, comedy-drama and movie writing to create a massive list of credits spanning over more than 30 years. Should be inspiring (with practical advice too - the day is all about giving practical advice).

Just a reminder that the early bird ends 31st October for anyone else who is looking to come along: https://www.comedy.co.uk/make_it/conference/

OK, over the next seven days we'll be releasing lots more speaker names for our big conference on the 29th November.

Next week we'll reveal who our other major headline speaker is (they're a very well known comedy writer), plus our commissioning panel (top executives from the channels), but first here's more people who will be joining us for our panel sessions...

Vicki Pepperdine's new sitcom Puppy Love goes out soon, she's also involved in writing and/or performing on many other shows, including Getting On.

David Quantick has written for pretty much everything, hence his new book How To Write Everything.

Bill Dare joins us again this year. He's a writer, but also the producer behind some of Radio 4's top shows.

Hatty Ashdown and Anthony MacMurray might not be quite so well known, but their sitcom Give Out Girls is currently going out on Comedy Central, so it'll be interesting to hear how they've found writing that, and some of the business side of things on it.

More to come :)

Bruce Dessau has some really interesting exclusive news...