Current radio comedy Page 125

Quote: Bonzo @ 6th August 2014, 7:32 PM BST

Not sure which question you mean? I was just commenting on a Radio Sitcom that I really like. Lyndhurst isn't in Welcome To Our Village.

Oh no, that's My First Planet. I meant about your bronze feedback for the sitcom thing.

Essential info for Ed Reardon completists

http://www.camdenreview.com/reviews/features/interview-with-christopher-douglas-creator-of-radio-4s-ed-reardon

Less cerebral but definitely funnier - Dave Podmore !

Big up from me for Podmore as well. Very funny. Also top of the pile are Down The Line, Claire In The Community, Giles Wemmbly Hogg Goes Off, Mark Steel's In Town and Elevenquest. On the other hand high time the BBC axed The News Quiz and the Now Show and anything else with Susan Calman.

[quote name="Alexei Q" post="1095620" date="20th October 2014, 2:48 PM BST"]Big up from me for Podmore as well. Very funny. Also top of the pile are Down The Line, Claire In The Community, Giles Wemmbly Hogg Goes Off, Mark Steel's In Town and Elevenquest. On the other hand high time the BBC axed The News Quiz and the Now Show and anything else with Susan Calman.
[/quote

I think that you may have a point about the ubiquity of Ms Calman, she was starting to get on my wick too, hence why I turned off. The Now Show is also pretty tired.

Yes, I like her very much. Sorry.

I don't like The Now Show and all that kind of stuff very much, but I think Susan Calman is quite funny in her own right - listened to a couple of "...Is Convicted" recently, and I thought they were entertaining.

Finding "Marriage Lines" on R4E fairly interesting. Richard Briers and Prunella Scales as newlyweds in 1965 sounding much like Richard Briers and Prunella Scales in subsequent decades. No bad thing, given their class, but young didn't sound young in those days any more than young sounded old. It just sounded ordinary.

I believe the programme had been on TV before radio, airing as early as 1961. Both versions were written
by Brian Barton-Chapple or Richard Waring as he was more commonly known. Waring, who was prolific in
the 60s and 70s, went on to produce "Not in Front of the Children" and other series starring Wendy Craig.

Which leads me to the frequent use in "Marriage Lines" of the dramatic pause. Perhaps it is partially in the acting as well as the writing but it hints of what was to come in other writers. I think I can hear in the half-listening "whats" an early clue to Carla Lane who would later write "Butterflies" which also starred Craig.

But there is especially a similarity with Simon Brett's "After Henry" to the extent that Scales's character could be the same, albeit older. So maybe Brett too took "Marriage Lines" as a cue to some of his technique.

Quote: gappy @ 20th October 2014, 9:43 PM BST

I don't like The Now Show and all that kind of stuff very much, but I think Susan Calman is quite funny in her own right - listened to a couple of "...Is Convicted" recently, and I thought they were entertaining.

Seems the Beeb is very afraid to knock very old (and tired) formats on the head whether radio shows like The Now Show, News Quiz or TV series like Have I Got News For You and Mock The Week. Maybe the Beeb thinks because the news is always seemingly changing there's always room for satirical shows. Thing is the news is pretty much the same old stuff but with different people

The Museum of Curiosity is back on Radio 4. It's amazing how they always manage to get so interesting and funny experts with quirky anecdotes. My favourite story is John Blashford-Snell taking a baby grand piano to a jungle tribe:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2002/dec/13/artsfeatures1

Quote: bloopergast @ 22nd October 2014, 9:23 PM BST

The Museum of Curiosity is back on Radio 4. It's amazing how they always manage to get so interesting and funny experts with quirky anecdotes. My favourite story is John Blashford-Snell taking a baby grand piano to a jungle tribe:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2002/dec/13/artsfeatures1

That is a fantastic programme, exactly what QI could be if it hadn't gone down the silly route. Jimmy 'Wikipedia' Wales was amusing too "you give people smartphone technology and they use it to hurl birds at pigs."

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 22nd October 2014, 10:00 PM BST

That is a fantastic programme, exactly what QI could be if it hadn't gone down the silly route.

The great thing about Radio 4 is that unlike BBC TV light entertainment they are not see their core audience as morons.

Quote: Tursiops @ 22nd October 2014, 11:15 PM BST

The great thing about Radio 4 is that unlike BBC TV light entertainment they are not see their core audience as morons.

Reportedly the only people who hate The Museum of Curiosity are fans of The Archers. On the QI Elves podcast they mentioned that people tuning into The Archers always catch the last five minutes of TMOC and so tend to think that all they talk about are pubic lice and dumbed down subjects.

Interesting to see that this week's episode had a Belgian guest. I wonder what he would have made of John Finnemore tonight?

Dave Podmore & Ed Reardon starting anew on 4 extra - both excellent.

As is Mel and Sue from way back, forgotten how perky Perkins used to be before that misfiring sitcom and cakes bloody cakes. Absolutely marvelous double act with clever, original, funny material. Natural chemistry, silly voices, proper acting; they can even sing!

John Finnemore brilliant as ever.