Detectorists - Series 1 Page 3

Have just seen my first episode. The third. Thought it was very good indeed. Love the understated quality. In others' hands, that could be an excuse for an absence of humour but I laughed several times. In a sense, what makes it funny is the scope that is left for the viewer to decide what is amusing. Their song in the pub was a case in point. Visually it is intelligent. A thoughtful use of colour in the more stylised scenes which contrasts well with the very natural outdoors settings. And for all of the peculiarity, the characterisation is plausible. I have met these people on my travels or feel that I have. Certainly I have encountered the vibe.

While I love the Airplane-style humour with every gag shoe-horned in I also enjoy the easy-paced gentle story telling of an Early Doors type show. This programme hits the spot for me. As somebody has already said they know what they're doing and I think they're doing it well. The only negative is the beautiful teacher wife, this aspect just isn't convincing.

Loving Johnny Flynn's score for this.

Quote: Tursiops @ 25th October 2014, 11:14 PM BST

Loving Johnny Flynn's score for this.

Yes. I thought Episode 4 was every bit as good as Episode 3. If it were possible to feel mildly ecstatic, this is the programme. I think it might just become seen as the first classic comedy series of the current decade.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 26th October 2014, 12:29 AM BST

I think it might just become seen as the first classic comedy series of the current decade.

Whilst I have warmed to the series after what I considered to be a weak start, to say it will be a classic comedy series? I don't think so. Porridge, OFAH, Blackadder it ain't.

Quote: Mr TC @ 24th October 2014, 9:36 AM BST

The only negative is the beautiful teacher wife, this aspect just isn't convincing.

Agree.

Sounds promising might tune into it next week.

Quote: Gazzo @ 29th October 2014, 10:43 PM GMT

Sounds promising might tune into it next week.

Too late. It's finished. Just 3 episodes.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 29th October 2014, 11:03 PM GMT

Too late. It's finished. Just 3 episodes.

I will buy the DVD when it comes out.I still tune in though.

Quote: Gazzo @ 29th October 2014, 11:11 PM GMT

I will buy the DVD when it comes out.I still tune in though.

Don't listen to him . . . last weeks episode was episoe 4 . . . it will be a full 6 episodes . . .

Must get the kettle on, and sit down with a brew Detectorists is about to start!

I haven't seen it but the title is reminiscent of The Persuasionists, which wasn't much cop.

I will watch it, but I suspect that it might be so bad that it causes me to dust off one of my old scripts and I really don't want that to happen.

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 30th October 2014, 12:57 AM GMT

Don't listen to him . . . last weeks episode was episoe 4 . . . it will be a full 6 episodes . . .

Realised this last night. My mistake, Very sorry.

Quote: roscoff @ 29th October 2014, 10:43 PM GMT

Whilst I have warmed to the series after what I considered to be a weak start, to say it will be a classic comedy series? I don't think so. Porridge, OFAH, Blackadder it ain't.

Fair comment.

I thought last night's was a bit disappointing compared with 3 and 4. The cruder moments in it work well but it drifted off too much in that direction so that the crucial offbeat gentleness wasn't so much to the fore.

Broadly, I want to find classicism in 21st Century comedy, however unexpected. I may therefore leap to the conclusion that something is classic as soon as I find any hint of it. It still seems to me this programme has achieved quite a lot. Here's hoping for a good final episode. A second series would in any case be welcome.

"...like the worst ever episode of Scooby Doo!" ....best line ever!!!! Luvin' this series.

Quote: roscoff @ 29th October 2014, 10:43 PM GMT

True that, but how many modern day sitcoms can you name that definitely will become classics?
This exact comedy has its own pace and lightness and if I ever be asked 'what do you recommend something lovely and easy going to watch I would recommend this particular show for sure.