Your favourite sitcom NOW? Page 2

Quote: Lukas @ 2nd October 2014, 11:53 AM BST

I don't usually watch TV... Well I don't watch TV at all, but because I am interested in writing and making "sitcoms" myself I thought I have to do research :D

What are your favourite British sitcoms currently shown on TV?

Any suggestions? I will watch all! :D :P

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd October 2014, 10:06 PM BST

How can you want to write a sitcom without knowing what a TV sitcom actually is?

Are you going to answer Lukas?

Favourite of the last few years that ticked all the boxes for me - Green Wing !

Hilarious, well written, great cast !

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 3rd October 2014, 1:16 PM BST

I'm surprised no one else (including me) picked up on that point. What on earth would make you want to write a sitcom if you don't watch any? I think you need to buy some box sets and spend about 5 years watching sitcoms before you even think about trying to write one.

I agree with Chappers and DougWonnacott... this seems a bit silly. But then I've heard it said that most people who say they want to write actually just want to have written.

Well why doesn't he write a comedy novel or a comedy play script? Seems ridiculous.

Bad Education is my sitcom atm, pretty good!

I forgot about Uncle and Siblings, they rate highly for me too.

And speaking of Charlotte Ritchie, there's Fresh Meat too, which I'd forgotten as well!

Quote: Lukas @ 2nd October 2014, 11:53 AM BST

I don't usually watch TV... Well I don't watch TV at all, but because I am interested in writing and making "sitcoms" myself I thought I have to do research :D

What are your favourite British sitcoms currently shown on TV?

Any suggestions? I will watch all! :D :P

Have you watched any of the above shows yet to give you any idea of what a Sitcom is?

I forgot about Toast of London! Loved it, hope there will be a Series 2.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 12th October 2014, 11:56 PM BST

I forgot about Toast of London! Loved it, hope there will be a Series 2.

Series 2 starts in just a couple of weeks.

Quote: Pipbin @ 4th October 2014, 9:34 PM BST

Favourite of the last few years that ticked all the boxes for me - Green Wing !

Hilarious, well written, great cast !

About 8 years ago, though, wasn't it? Not sure that counts here, although I liked it a lot.

I don't like all the scatalogical Inbetweeners style elements, but Plebs is probably the best on TV now in my mind - funny and quite nicely put together in a traditional way, so possibly useful for pointers.

Of course, if you want a recent sit com to teach you about charater, plot, economy and getting the most from minimal means, turn off your TV and listen to Cabin Pressure. Cool

Plebs, The Job Lot, The Detectorists - all entertaining.

Quote: gappy @ 19th October 2014, 3:32 PM BST

Of course, if you want a recent sit com to teach you about charater, plot, economy and getting the most from minimal means, turn off your TV and listen to Cabin Pressure. Cool

I endorse this.

Still enjoying the repeats of Big Bang Theory and am looking forward very much to the new series this Thursday on E4 at 8.30pm.

Perfect characters played by perfect actors and very funny.

Brooklyn Nine Nine hits the spot.