Parody Copyright law

Hi everyone

Does anyone understand more about this law?

I was wondering if it meant only material that was made in the UK could be parodied or does it relate to where the new work is made? I'm not sure if that makes sense but let's say I parodied an american movie in a piece of comic fiction that I created and published in the UK. Would that be ok?

Also, as a kind of practise I have been playing around with writing a couple of sitcom episodes into a story instead of a script. So, I've done a bit of a Father Ted episode where I've used all of their dialogue, and story line etc but instead of a script I've written it as a story in prose. Would I be able to publish these on amazon as novella's? Obviously, I would make it clear that it was unnoffical and nothing to do with the original writers etc - kind of like fan fiction I suppose.

Anyway, any thoughts much appreciated.

It's very complicated to be simple.

From plagiarism to copyright to property and likeness rights. Everything favours the author / owner. You are not protected by disclaimer or parody or imaginary fare use laws.

If you use it / you can be sued. Ian Hislop was the most sued man in Britain in the Private Eye heyday. If you get noticed and they feel you are damaging their brand / ability to maximise profit on their investment. They will stop you.

And it's not necessarily Matthews or Graham Linehan that will take an interest but managers and lawyers and publishers who own the rights of use.

So will I be able to use it or not?

If you use it / you can be sued.

Quote: Mikey88 @ 29th September 2014, 4:36 PM BST

I've done a bit of a Father Ted episode where I've used all of their dialogue, and story line etc but instead of a script I've written it as a story in prose.

That's not just copyright infringement: it's daylight robbery.

No can do, I'm afraid.

Quote: Mikey88 @ 29th September 2014, 4:36 PM BST

Also, as a kind of practise I have been playing around with writing a couple of sitcom episodes into a story instead of a script. So, I've done a bit of a Father Ted episode where I've used all of their dialogue, and story line etc but instead of a script I've written it as a story in prose.

Isn't that a bit like practising painting by taking a photograph of a painting?
Not quite sure what you're getting out of that...

Thanks Rood Eye - and yep, it was only ever for me really anyway, I wasn't expecting to sell it when I wrote it, I just thought I could stick it on kindle with this new law.

And, Lazzard, I actually found it quite useful actually. I prefer to write prose rather than scripts and as sitcoms are generally much funnier than books, I'm trying to make my books funny. I want them to read like a sitcom, so it's good practise writing the narration, descriptions, emotions etc of the characters but also rewriting the jokes so they are in a narrative form rather than just a script. I'm also expanding it quite a lot, for example, the script of a sitcom might be 5k words, my 'story' of the episode might be more like 15-20k words.

So it's not really like practising painting by taking a photgraph, it's more like practising painting by repainting a piece in a completely different style.

Quote: Mikey88 @ 1st October 2014, 1:16 PM BST

Thanks Rood Eye - and yep, it was only ever for me really anyway, I wasn't expecting to sell it when I wrote it, I just thought I could stick it on kindle with this new law.

And, Lazzard, I actually found it quite useful actually. I prefer to write prose rather than scripts and as sitcoms are generally much funnier than books, I'm trying to make my books funny. I want them to read like a sitcom, so it's good practise writing the narration, descriptions, emotions etc of the characters but also rewriting the jokes so they are in a narrative form rather than just a script. I'm also expanding it quite a lot, for example, the script of a sitcom might be 5k words, my 'story' of the episode might be more like 15-20k words.

So it's not really like practising painting by taking a photgraph, it's more like practising painting by repainting a piece in a completely different style.

Well, if it's working, go for it.

To be honest I probably wouldn't mind really - if I was quoted properly - but regardless, I don't think I can publish them anyway - maybe one day I'll email Graham Lineham and see what he thinks. I defo can't be arsed with a court case and all that; I heard these judges can be a tough crowd.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 2nd October 2014, 9:38 PM BST

If you use someone else's dialogue verbatim, without their permission, you'll infringe the owner's copyright, if it's less than 70 years old.

I think the UK protects many works fot the life of the author plus 70 years. Except for Peter Pan which is a special case (the law was altered to enable the copyright to be owned by Great Ormond Street hospital for as long as it exists, or something like that).