Overrated sitcoms? Page 12

Miranda and Outnumbered. Absolute tripe. What I have come to expect from the modern BBC. Comedy that is so shit compared to when they had the balls to make real comedy. These shows are like flannels that have been soaked in piss compared to what non terrestrial channels are now making.

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th August 2014, 10:14 PM BST

It's THE best US sitcom of all time

An award right up there with "Best turd in the sewer".

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th August 2014, 10:14 PM BST

I agree with most of what you say there.

But seriously, have you actually watched any Big Bang Theory? or have you just assumed its of the same vein as the likes of How I Met Your Mother etc etc.

I very nearly did that too, but I checked it out and I am so very glad I did - because it's brilliant.

It's brilliantly performed, has great story lines and is one of the very few American sitcoms that is packed with genuine LOL moments. If you have watched it a few times and don't like it fair enough, but if you've not given it a fair crack - give it a go. You may be very very pleasantly surprised

It's THE best US sitcom of all time (yes, better than Frasier) and it would be in my top 20 sitcoms of all time.

I've watched quite a few episodes and maybe I was a bit harsh including it. It's better than the other named but I still don't think it is as good as Frasier or Cheers. OK, replace BBT with Dharma and Greg. Now that was pisspoor!

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 21st August 2014, 10:17 PM BST

Probably the UK's most overrated sitcom has to be OFAH, yes, I agree that it was fantastic in the early days, but boy didn't it go on for ever? Don't even get me started on the sickly sentimental shite which seemed to infuse every episode in the latter years. As for allowing Sullivan to write 50 minute episodes - why? I agree that it doesn't help that Gold repeat it ad nauseum. I think Stewart Lee's skit about 'Del Boy Falling Through The Gap in a Bar' being voted the funniest thing in the universe, ever, was right on the money.

I quite liked Gavin and Stacey at the time and have re-watched it a couple of times since. I agree that the central characters are both two-dimensional and bland plus some of the 'comic' performances provided by the huge supporting cast were so OTT it was painful (yes, I'm referring to you Alison Steadman - sorry and all that...) Like OFAH, it's really sickly at times. Ick.

I can't abide Miranda because it's basically a clumsy posh big woman breaking the fourth wall and apologising all the time.

The success and humour of Mrs Brown's Boys eludes me sadly.

I still re-watch and enjoy the UK Office, however I can't see the draw of the US equivalent. Other Gervais vehicles are fairly good, I rate Extras, Derek's OK and couldn't stand Life's Too Short, nor The Ricky Gervais Show.

Enough already.

OFAH series 1 to 5 are comedy gold but apart from the episode where Delboy enters a drawing into a competition Rodney did as a kid, diminishing returns set in. Stewart Lee's skit on the bar scene was brilliant

For the sake of balance I just want to point out that I think The Big Bang Theory is pretty poor. I'd put it on the same level as Saved By the Bell. It feels like it's made for children.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 12th September 2014, 4:53 PM BST

For the sake of balance I just want to point out that I think The Big Bang Theory is pretty poor. I'd put it on the same level as Saved By the Bell. It feels like it's made for children.

I've not seen either, pretty glad I haven't. I'm currently watching S1 of Rising Damp and will check out the associated threads.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 21st August 2014, 10:17 PM BST

Probably the UK's most overrated sitcom has to be OFAH, yes, I agree that it was fantastic in the early days, but boy didn't it go on for ever? Don't even get me started on the sickly sentimental shite which seemed to infuse every episode in the latter years. As for allowing Sullivan to write 50 minute episodes - why? I agree that it doesn't help that Gold repeat it ad nauseum.

I think you can only rate a programme by when it was at its peak. The more successful a sitcom the more it will be recommissioned and the more the quality will drop off. There are very few shows like Porridge or Fawlty Towers that quit when in their prime.

It's amazing the diversity of comedy thoughts on here. What some find hilarious I find dire, and what some find dire I think are hilarious.

Most over rated is probably OFAH, not helped by the fact that Gold have screened this almost every day for last 8 years. I have deliberately refused to watch this for at least 7 years, maybe one day I will revisit.

Surprised to read on here some find Blackadder dire. Series 1 was not that great but 2 and 3 are outstanding and 4 is not that far behind.

I think I must be one of the few who think Mrs. Brown's Boys is funny. Yes it's predictable and not even slightly subtle but hey it makes me laugh out loud many times. Miranda is okay; has its moments.

Other dire UK comedies: Outnumbered, Extras, The Office, Gavin & Stacey. Peep Show is OK but generally over rated.

American sitcoms don't really do it for me. BBT is very good as is Friends in most of the episodes. Apart from that I have tried Frasier, Seinfeld, How I Met Your Mother and Scrubs but cannot get into them at all, I have tried.

I suppose it's a good job we do not all like the same thing.

I must admit as much as I like Ricky's The Office I never liked the US version much. Also Parks and Recreation is something I don't get.

Also the Inbetweeners (?) crude and vulgar.

The Office is self-conscious, pretentious tosh, in my view.

Ricky Gervais's attempts at 'shock-comedy' are pitiful and weak, going by what I have seen - although his recent mega-publicity on Twitter that helped raise cash for the dog pound that was burned down killing many dogs made me admire him on that level at least.

Only Fools And Horses does very little for me. I like isolated scenes like the riot in front of flatblocks stopping momentarily to let Del Boy through, but overall the saccharine just puts me right off. It's undeniably popular though, and us nay-sayers are clearly in the minority.

Quote: Rico El Vista @ 26th September 2014, 9:05 AM BST

I like isolated scenes like the riot in front of flatblocks stopping momentarily to let Del Boy through

As mighty Aaron always says: comedy is subjective. For me this is one of the stupidest and most implausible scenes of the whole show. I hate it...the scene, not OFAH.

Maybe if it was explained that they knew him from Peckham market rather than seeing him on telly?

yeah Rico why some comedians feel the need to offend religious people just for pure shock value is not something I personally understand. OK you are not religious fine get over yourself. People still need to be able to live together.

I must say that show Ricky did about politics was pretty good. I remember the scene where he was talking about Ghandi's comment when he first came to Britain.

When he was asked what he thinks of civilisation and replied if he sees it he will let him know. To which Ricky replied "What about sarcasm being the lowest form of wit" and then went on to call him a limey c***.

Just stop talking about religion that is all we ask.

Neil; do you remember Ricky done a bad-taste gag about 'no gag reel' on a Holocaust documentary-----I assume this was meant to outrage all sorts of folks, so I went onto Ricky G YouTube comments with a script I wrote about Gervais arriving at a Nazi Death camp, and the atrocities that happen to him there....his many fans were especially hostile to my stuff, I seem to remember!

Quote: NeilMeyer @ 26th September 2014, 8:54 AM BST

I must admit as much as I like Ricky's The Office I never liked the US version much. Also Parks and Recreation is something I don't get.

I like the US-Office quite a lot - it's not always making you belly-laugh, but they did quite a great job in adapting it for the US-market and the characters are developed nicely over the time. Even the Jim/Pam-relationship (the US-equivalent to Tim/Dawn) develops nicely over the long time without getting dubious or annoying, and the other characters also develop their own personality that's not so similar to their UK-equivalents. I agree though that the UK version still is the best - David Brent is simply one of the best sitcom characters ever.

I also find Parks&Rec a bit overrated. The only really original and funny characters are Ron Swanson and April - if they were the lead characters, it would probably be awesome. But the other characters are rather boring, and the humour often feels a bit too forced and self-regarding and above all too American.

I havent trawled the thread bit I assume others have already. Voted for the bloody awful My Family?