Would I Lie To You? - Series 8

Yay! First Prog. Fri 12th September

That was great...I enjoyed it a lot.

Funny improv by Lee Mack...that thing with the keys.

I missed the reveal for that end bit (Lee Mack's keys), I assume it was a lie though?

It was indeed!

Quote: Sal Paradise @ 13th September 2014, 1:05 AM BST

I missed the reveal for that end bit (Lee Mack's keys), I assume it was a lie though?

Correct. Or am I lying?

There maybe too many panel shows on TV but this one is definitely worth keeping for as long as Brydon, Mitchell and Mack are willing to do it for. They seem to be a little better at choosing their guests than most other panel shows.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 13th September 2014, 2:02 AM BST

They seem to be a little better at choosing their guests than most other panel shows.

I suspect that's more the topic-less format meaning it's suitable for just about anyone in the public eye, rather than some radically different booking agenda.

Always enjoyed this one - David Mitchell has me in stitches. Laughing out loud

Just one thing puzzles me, and I'm probably being thick here :P , but at the start Brydon says they have never seen what is on the card, which suggests that they are all made up(?)
If he said they have never seen what is on the cards EXCEPT for the one that could be true would that make more sense?

Yes No? Am I hearing it wrong?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th September 2014, 8:08 AM BST

Just one thing puzzles me, and I'm probably being thick here :P , but at the start Brydon says they have never seen what is on the card, which suggests that they are all made up(?)
If he said they have never seen what is on the cards EXCEPT for the one that could be true would that make more sense?

That puzzled me as well. I imagine each guest tells the producers 3 or more true stories, and when they receive the card during the show, they don't know which one of the true stories it is going to be or if it's going to be a lie. So it's some sort of a surprise to them even if it's a true story.

What also makes me curious is how it works with the "mystery guest". Can the two lying panelists prepare their lies or do they have to improvise their lies spontananeously: "This is Sue, my yoga teacher, who once saved my life by removing a rubik's cube from my throat".

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 13th September 2014, 1:03 PM BST

That puzzled me as well. I imagine each guest tells the producers 3 or more true stories, and when they receive the card during the show, they don't know which one of the true stories it is going to be or if it's going to be a lie. So it's some sort of a surprise to them even if it's a true story.

What also makes me curious is how it works with the "mystery guest". Can the two lying panelists prepare their lies or do they have to improvise their lies spontananeously: "This is Sue, my yoga teacher, who once saved my life by removing a rubik's cube from my throat".

Oh good, I'm not thick then. Laughing out loud

Ummm, that makes sense. :) And I like to think that the "liars" are making it up on the spot. I think they maybe are as you can see them squirm when on interrogation their "story" starts to unravel.

Whatever, it is a great show.

Quote: Aaron @ 13th September 2014, 2:23 AM BST

I suspect that's more the topic-less format meaning it's suitable for just about anyone in the public eye, rather than some radically different booking agenda.

That's a good point. The guests are probably a bit more relaxed. If they're struggling, Mitchell or Mack (depending on which team they are on) can always draw the comedy out of them.

But I do still think the booking is a little more well thought through. No filling it just with comedians trying to force themselves into every exchange (MTW), no politicians failing to be funny and killing the atmosphere (HIGNIFY), no charisma free desperate for attention reality 'stars' hired just to be mocked (8 Out Of 10 Cats and Celebrity Juice).

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th September 2014, 8:08 AM BST

Always enjoyed this one - David Mitchell has me in stitches. Laughing out loud

Actually I believe the wording is usually something similar to "the guests have no idea wht they are about to read: an unbelievable true fact about themselves or a lie we made up that they've never seen before" ... So they know the true stories but they don't know if it will be one of those on the card or a lie they've never seen before. I do think they are allowed to prepare in advance for the mystery guest part.

I literally almost died laughing during Lee Mack's key chain pièce de résistance. Especially when he went through the whole thing again at lightning speed.

Classic finish to an otherwise enjoyable but average outing (by which I mean it was all 'good', not 'brilliant').

Is there a history between Micky's wife and Lee??

Quote: Wout Thielemans @ 14th September 2014, 3:38 PM BST

Is there a history between Micky's wife and Lee??

I don't think so, just a bit o' fun............

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 13th September 2014, 2:17 PM BST

But I do still think the booking is a little more well thought through. No filling it just with comedians trying to force themselves into every exchange (MTW), no politicians failing to be funny and killing the atmosphere (HIGNIFY), no charisma free desperate for attention reality 'stars' hired just to be mocked (8 Out Of 10 Cats and Celebrity Juice).

Well analysed :)

The attraction for me is the ad-libbing and quick retorts especially from Mitchell and Mack......but I have now just noticed there are 11 script writers listed.....what are they writing???? How scripted is it? Are there ANY ad-libs?