Boomers Page 4

Were these episodes shown in the correct order? Episode 2 Carol is talking about leaving Trevor, but in episode 1 they referred to them having split up didn't they?

Quote: Tursiops @ 29th August 2014, 10:59 PM BST

Were these episodes shown in the correct order? Episode 2 Carol is talking about leaving Trevor, but in episode 1 they referred to them having split up didn't they?

Maybe the writers were inspired by David Lynch's work. Not very probable, but who knows... ;)

There's something odd going on at the BBC - and I think this, and Big School are a result.
'Drama' won't touch anything with any comedy element, and "Comedy' won't do anything long-format.
(I speak from bitter experience!)
Consequently you're getting a lot of comedy/drama being squeezed into a half-hour 'sitcom' spots.
These things are neither fish nor foul - and hence unsatisfactory.

UNSATISFACTORY? That's the most polite term for these two shows I have heard. What a pile of unsatisfactory.

Certainly would not classify Boomers as comedy drama, it's a sitcom, and in my view, not a bad one. Maybe you need to be of a certain age. (God, am I of a certain age?!)

Quote: Tursiops @ 30th August 2014, 2:48 PM BST

Certainly would not classify Boomers as comedy drama, its a sitcom, and in my view, not a bad one. Maybe you need to be of a certain age. (God, am I of a certain age?!)

Maybe.
But I would bet a reasonable amount of money that these have been 'shrunk-to-fit' the 30 minute time-slot.

The story lines just do not strike me as being dramatic enough to carry an hour long format. The comedy is all in observing the nuances of late middle age relationships.

Quote: Tursiops @ 30th August 2014, 3:01 PM BST

The story lines just do not strike me as being dramatic enough to carry an hour long format. The comedy is all in observing the nuances of late middle age relationships.

Again, maybe you're right.
In which case, 4 story lines in one episode is a mistake.

The writer must be well in with the beeb lot

Just watched Ep. 2 - slightly better but still don't think it will be going anywhere in the long run.

Very nice though to see Dudley Sutton!!

The best word I can come up with is 'lacklustre'.
And when you consider the names they've thrown at it....
Just goes to prove, even a national institution like Alison Steadman needs a decent script.
It's like watching real old people.

Saw about half an ep the other day. I wouldn't compare it to Big School as a sitcom, they both have different styles, both unoriginal modern perversions of sitcom and not my cup of tea.

But yes they are both poor scripts with big name actors thrown in and in neither case does it work. You could run a hundred shows like this on TV and I doubt one of them would really work. No true inspiration in the script. Do like the choice of actors for Boomers but a shame it's no more than a mild soap.

Quote: Ed Parnell @ 30th August 2014, 2:09 PM BST

UNSATISFACTORY? That's the most polite term for these two shows I have heard. What a pile of unsatisfactory.

Indeed, But at least we can rest assured that being the BBC, 1, these shows will be repeated to death, and 2, As they are a load of Unsatisfactory, no doubt the BBC will recommission them for at least another 4 series'

Thank God I only watch TV on Demand and don't have to pay a TV licence!

Angry I have painfully sat through 4 episodes of this now and it never get's any better. June Whitfield was not in it on Friday 5th which made it even worse. As far as I remember ITV used to stop showing awfull sitcom's part way through a series in some regions (the nineteenth hole was one such show as far as I remember) but if the BBC did that the entire country would be without it? or maybe that's a good thing?.