Greatest physical comedy British sitcoms? Page 2

Simon Pegg used to throw himself around a lot in the very underrated 'Hippies'.

From the U.S., Seinfeld had a lot of physical comedy from Michael Richards character Kramer.

Dad's Army had a surprising amount of slapstick.

Then of course there was OFAH when Del Boy falls through the bar and Trigger made a face....

Quote: Aaron @ 21st August 2014, 12:12 PM BST

Physical, but also fake (smacking each other, head-butting). I think of it as slapstick violence rather than physical comedy. A very fine line of separation.

(?) Of course they are fake - what'd ya want blood? :O ;) Not sure what episode this was from, but when Rick and Vyvyan, fighting on a bed, came through the ceiling into the room below - that was pretty hairy and it makes me shudder each time I see it when I think of how horribly it could have gone wrong.

Surely that is physical.

And of course, all of Norman Wisdom and Michael Crawford's stunts were carefully planned, so are they not fake? Especially Norman's, as I think Michael's stunts were the most risky.

Bit of coincidental trivia that you probably know, but Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em was originally written for Norman Wisdom - personally I don't think he would have made a better job of it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st August 2014, 1:39 PM BST

(?) Of course they are fake - what'd ya want blood? :O ;) Not sure what episode this was from, but when Rick and Vyvyan, fighting on a bed, came through the ceiling into the room below - that was pretty hairy and it makes me shudder each time I see it when I think of how horribly it could have gone wrong.

Fairly sure it's in Time.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st August 2014, 1:39 PM BST

Surely that is physical.

There's an element of physicality to it, sure, but that's more of a stunt/prop comedy setpiece. It just involved them staying in position, not actually doing anything with their bodies in particular. I mean, compared to that iconic Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em rollerskating for example, where he's literally hurling his whole body down a hill, bending under a truck, avoiding bollards - that is physical.

Did Jackie Chan ever do a british sitcom?

I'm clutching at straws here, The Royal Bodyguard.

Absolutely Fabulous has its fair share of physical comedy.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 21st August 2014, 7:51 PM BST

Did Jackie Chan ever do a british sitcom?

I'm clutching at straws here, The Royal Bodyguard.

Absolutely Fabulous has its fair share of physical comedy.

Well not a sitcom but Peter Sellers and Bert Kwouk in the Pink Panther films were quite energetic.

I know it's not some people's cup of tea, but Miranda. Pushing poor old Stevie around, and falling over chairs.