Things that piss you off Page 1,532

And UKIP is actually the strangled noise an early marmoset made in the cromagnong era, when early man bummed it before eating it.

The bloody intrusive 'r'. It's everywhere tonight. Just had 'withdrawRal'. What's wrong with these folk that they need to stick in extra sounds?

Horse racing.

The most corrupt sport(?) on Earth where the only reason for being is to enable gambling.

Certainly the most boring. >_<

Quote: keewik @ 19th August 2014, 12:04 AM BST

The bloody intrusive 'r'. It's everywhere tonight. Just had 'withdrawRal'. What's wrong with these folk that they need to stick in extra sounds?

What about February? Is it really so important to make the effort to pronounce the first R?

Not important, but I always do. Adding letters into a word is just plain stupid (withdrawraI) but if it is there why not pronounce it.

Ummm, but just realised I don't think I pronounce the last 'a' in withdrawal. :$ Laughing out loud

SuRprise!

The one that makes me spit nails is 'Haitch'. >_<

IT IS NOT!!! It is f**king AITCH. GRRRRR!!!(One too many Rs? Laughing out loud ) Angry Angry Angry

How often is it snobbery that makes people get upset by mispronunciations?

Trains that leave early, particularly when you are just approaching the doors and they slide shut in front of you.

Quote: Tursiops @ 19th August 2014, 11:01 AM BST

.../ you are just approaching the doors and they slide shut in front of you.

You do know the doors automatically close when they sense offensive smells?

I thought it was just non-members of the clique?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 19th August 2014, 12:13 PM BST

I thought it was just non-members of the clique?

Oh, you mean this train....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWD5NXPIRuo

Quote: Nogget @ 19th August 2014, 10:27 AM BST

How often is it snobbery that makes people get upset by mispronunciations?

If you are referring to my post - it has absolutely nothing to do with snobbery or a mispronunciation.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th August 2014, 3:11 PM BST

If you are referring to my post - it has absolutely nothing to do with snobbery or a mispronunciation.

That's generally a hyper-correction - "I must remember not to drop my H's" but applied wrongly - although if it's someone Irish it is fairly standard practice. There is one news reader on LBC who does it all the time. I can't recall who as the only one that stands out is the wonderfully named Tania Snuggs. She's immaculate.