Overrated sitcoms? Page 11

Personally I never have been and never will be a fan of Scrubs

I never saw Scrubs until about just over a month ago on Netflix. They have the first six seasons. I fell in love with it instantly and have watched the first five seasons already.

I've probably posted this in here before but I can't be bothered to check. Miranda and new to this thread (for me anyway) Mrs Browns Boys. Neither of which has ever made me chortle or indeed titter. Which apparently comedy is supposed to do. I find the humour in both aimed at lowest common denominator and basically immature. Doesn't mean I think you're an idiot if you like it. Unless you are of course.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 21st June 2014, 7:20 PM BST

This is an absolutely fascinating topic and I could talk for hours but I won't. If you don't mind my linking to old thoughts I'll just go www.chortle.co.uk/correspondents/2008/07/14/7057/once_in_every_lifetime,_comes_a_love_like_this... and a review I wrote of FRC for this very site but, um, can't find any more. Shame. Basically I argued that FRC plays with sitcom structure in the breaking of the third wall etc.

I've just read this. A very good article!

Ah, thank you! I still love the show.

Quote: Deferenz @ 29th July 2014, 4:03 PM BST

I've just read this. A very good article!

Indeed a good article. I found The Young Ones a bit hit and miss but when they hit it was often bloody brilliant!

I've always been amazed that people like crap like Miranda and Not Going Out, which I think are 2 of the worst programmes ever made. I actually heard someone on TV diss Not Going Out and Lee Mack actually reacted to this, he couldn't believe people didn't like it.

Also, Derek but maybe that wasn't over rated because it quite widely slated

Quote: roscoff @ 30th July 2014, 9:28 PM BST

Indeed a good article.

(blush, simper)

Mostly it's pretty much any post Frasier US import like Will & Grace, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Brooklyn 999, Modern Family, New Girl etc. Friends is gut-bustingly hilarious in contrast. These all get awards in the US. I've got nowt against US sitcoms in general as I like Frasier (series 1-7 anyway), Seinfeld (1-6), Cheers (1-5) and Taxi but these others are dire.

As for the UK, Blackadders 2 and 3 had some mildly amusing moments for me but that's it. Never understood the critical reception given to Gavin & Stacey and am utterly gobsmacked at the popularity of Mrs Brown's Boys. It's atrocious.

As for Peep Show, series 1 - 5 are brilliant but diminishing returns set in over the next 3. Why? too much Dobby, too little Johnson and Superhans in proper crackhead mode.

Outnumbered was fresh for the first three series but that should've been it. It doesn't work as well with the kids being older. Not Going Out was good for the first 4 but that should've been it after Tim Vine went.

How I Met Your Mother is utterly dire, I agree.
But Modern Family? Amazing show.

Quote: Alexei Q @ 21st August 2014, 12:02 PM BST

Mostly it's pretty much any post Frasier US import like Will & Grace, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Brooklyn 999, Modern Family, New Girl etc. Friends is gut-bustingly hilarious in contrast. These all get awards in the US. I've got nowt against US sitcoms in general as I like Frasier (series 1-7 anyway), Seinfeld (1-6), Cheers (1-5) and Taxi but these others are dire.

As for the UK, Blackadders 2 and 3 had some mildly amusing moments for me but that's it. Never understood the critical reception given to Gavin & Stacey and am utterly gobsmacked at the popularity of Mrs Brown's Boys. It's atrocious.

As for Peep Show, series 1 - 5 are brilliant but diminishing returns set in over the next 3. Why? too much Dobby, too little Johnson and Superhans in proper crackhead mode.

Outnumbered was fresh for the first three series but that should've been it. It doesn't work as well with the kids being older. Not Going Out was good for the first 4 but that should've been it after Tim Vine went.

Could have written this myself except for: Blackadder 2. 'Brilliant!' as QE1 would say. Big Bang Theory is better than Friends and has some damn fine episodes. Don't argue with me you people. You know I'm right. Yes, I am talking to you over there leafing suspiciously through the top shelf magazine collections.

Probably the UK's most overrated sitcom has to be OFAH, yes, I agree that it was fantastic in the early days, but boy didn't it go on for ever? Don't even get me started on the sickly sentimental shite which seemed to infuse every episode in the latter years. As for allowing Sullivan to write 50 minute episodes - why? I agree that it doesn't help that Gold repeat it ad nauseum. I think Stewart Lee's skit about 'Del Boy Falling Through The Gap in a Bar' being voted the funniest thing in the universe, ever, was right on the money.

I quite liked Gavin and Stacey at the time and have re-watched it a couple of times since. I agree that the central characters are both two-dimensional and bland plus some of the 'comic' performances provided by the huge supporting cast were so OTT it was painful (yes, I'm referring to you Alison Steadman - sorry and all that...) Like OFAH, it's really sickly at times. Ick.

I can't abide Miranda because it's basically a clumsy posh big woman breaking the fourth wall and apologising all the time.

The success and humour of Mrs Brown's Boys eludes me sadly.

I still re-watch and enjoy the UK Office, however I can't see the draw of the US equivalent. Other Gervais vehicles are fairly good, I rate Extras, Derek's OK and couldn't stand Life's Too Short, nor The Ricky Gervais Show.

Enough already.

Mrs Brown's Boys is massively overrated. Could easily get away with a 12A

Quote: Alexei Q @ 21st August 2014, 12:02 PM BST

I agree with most of what you say there.

But seriously, have you actually watched any Big Bang Theory? or have you just assumed its of the same vein as the likes of How I Met Your Mother etc etc.

I very nearly did that too, but I checked it out and I am so very glad I did - because it's brilliant.

It's brilliantly performed, has great story lines and is one of the very few American sitcoms that is packed with genuine LOL moments. If you have watched it a few times and don't like it fair enough, but if you've not given it a fair crack - give it a go. You may be very very pleasantly surprised

It's THE best US sitcom of all time (yes, better than Frasier) and it would be in my top 20 sitcoms of all time.

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th August 2014, 10:14 PM BST

I agree with most of what you say there.

But seriously, have you actually watched any Big Bang Theory? or have you just assumed its of the same vein as the likes of How I Met Your Mother etc etc.

I very nearly did that too, but I checked it out and I am so very glad I did - because it's brilliant.

It's brilliantly performed, has great story lines and is one of the very few American sitcoms that is packed with genuine LOL moments. If you have watched it a few times and don't like it fair enough, but if you've not given it a fair crack - give it a go. You may be very very pleasantly surprised

It's THE best US sitcom of all time (yes, better than Frasier) and it would be in my top 20 sitcoms of all time.

With you 100% - love it, love it, LOVE IT! One of those sitcoms where not only is it very well written but also each actor is so perfect in their part. Never tire of watching the many (!) repeats on C4/E4 at the moment.