No - That's Me Over Here!

Do any of the older readers remember this Ronnie Corbett sitcom which ran from 1967 - 70? Ronnie Corbett is a commuter working in an insurance office and has social and business aspirations above his station. From what I've read, the first two black and white series are missing presumed lost, but the one colour series survives.

Anyway, there is a black and white episode floating about 'out there' which I managed to get hold of along with a colour episode. I'm going to write a piece on it for my retro telly blog at some point. I've watched the b/w episode and it's not too bad. It's very 'retro sitcom' e.g. the boss (who fought in the war) gets invited to Ronnie's house for dinner, but, uh-oh, Ronnie's wife's invited a German round as well.

It ran for three series, so must have been popular at the time, but it's somewhat forgotten now. Probably due to its 'wiped' status.

I remember of it but not the actual series though.

(Does that make sense?)

I don't read it that often but I really like your blog, Ben. It's exactly what a blog should be, in terms of informative geekyness.

Quote: Chappers @ 17th July 2014, 6:28 PM BST

I remember of it but not the actual series though.

(Does that make sense?)

It kind of does. You're aware of it, but you can't remember anything about it? (Right?)

Quote: Lee @ 17th July 2014, 6:45 PM BST

I don't read it that often but I really like your blog, Ben. It's exactly what a blog should be, in terms of informative geekyness.

Thanks, Lee. It's been a bit neglected the last few months, but I'm adding stuff again slowly.

Quote: Lee @ 17th July 2014, 6:45 PM BST

You can read mine if you like. My Dad's 1939 diary.

I noticed this sitcom in my comedy guide book and wanted to get it. I'm only aged 41 so don't remember it being on TV. I don't think it's ever been repeated? I managed to get hold of 1 colour episode but that's it! I'm really jealous that other people have 2 episodes. I'm hoping Network will release this series. I'm under the impression that the 1 remaining black & white episode is in collector's hands only and would not ever be released?

Nothing known is in "collector's hands only". It's in the archive. :)

I watched the colour episode of this last night that I've got and... well... it wasn't great. Not terrible, but not great. A few nice scenes where Ronnie Corbett is trying to retrieve a letter of resignation he's been duped into handing in, but that was about it.

Are you sure the remaining black and white episode is in the archive Aaron?. According to lost shows.com all the first and second series is missing and all that remains is the 3rd colour series. I agree with ben and his comment about the series 3 episode. Although it's not that great I still would want to see the other episodes.

Missing or incomplete episodes for programme NO - THAT'S ME OVER HERE.

Series 1
14.11.67 with Jill Mai Meredith, Michael Nightingale (missing)
21.11.67 with Jill Mai Meredith, No guest cast (missing)
28.11.67 with Jill Mai Meredith, Geoffrey Russell, Gretchen Franklin, Eric Idle (missing)
05.12.67 with Jill Mai Meredith, Julian Orchard (missing)
12.12.67 with Jill Mai Meredith, Eric Idle, Michael Nightingale (missing)
19.12.67 with Tim Brooke-Taylor, Michael Nightingale, Vi Delma, Barry Cryer, Graham Chapman (missing)

Series 2
15.05.68 with Jill Mai Meredith, Geoffrey Russell, Stuart Saunders (missing)
22.05.68 with Jill Mai Meredith, Chris Cunningham, Humphrey Kent (missing)
29.05.68 with Jill Mai Meredith, Michael Nightingale, Judy Jason (missing)
05.06.68 with Jill Mai Meredith, Michael Nightingale, David Kernan
A domestic audio recording exists of the soundtrack, but the programme itself has been lost.
12.06.68 with Jill Mai Meredith, Gillian Lind (missing)
17.06.68 with Jill Mai Meredith, Jack Watling (missing)

Out of an original total of 25 episodes, 12 episodes are missing.

I don't think it's always clear what 'missing' constitutes in terms of episodes. Sometimes it means the original recording is missing, but the broadcaster may have some video copies available still. ITV could easily get their hands on the black and white episode that's available, so it's not a case of people withholding it from them.

Quote: marac @ 20th July 2014, 5:54 PM BST

Are you sure the remaining black and white episode is in the archive Aaron?. According to lost shows.com all the first and second series is missing and all that remains is the 3rd colour series. I agree with ben and his comment about the series 3 episode.

Sadly, whilst it is very useful at times, that website does have a number of errors and I do not believe is updated particularly frequently.

I can honesty say I have never heard of this.

It's odd how people remember him for Sorry, but he had other sitcoms before it, such as Now Look Here (three series) and The Prince of Denmark.

:) Just spotted this as up for pre-order on Amazon for release in July from Network DVD. Just as I always suspected it looks like it will only contain the complete Series 3. Can we now say that no black and white episodes from Series 1&2 survive in the archive? I have been told in this forum before that 1 episode does as some people have a copy of it in their private collections. It makes me wonder if Network have access to old black and white episodes that were made by different production companies such as Rediffusion for Series 1 & 2. The same problem occurred with Network's release of Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width as it originally started as ABC productions (or something) and then changed to Thames from Series 3 onwards. Network released all the Thames episodes but left off the surviving ABC episodes.
Anyway I'm glad at least I can now see the rest of the colour episodes of this show but I do feel a bit annoyed that I will never have access to the remaining black and white episode.

Quote: marac @ 17th April 2015, 6:18 PM BST

:) Just spotted this as up for pre-order on Amazon for release in July from Network DVD.

Yes, it is very good news.

Just as I always suspected it looks like it will only contain the complete Series 3. Can we now say that no black and white episodes from Series 1&2 survive in the archive? I have been told in this forum before that 1 episode does as some people have a copy of it in their private collections.

Very disappointing indeed, and no, we can't say that for exactly the reason you give! :)

It makes me wonder if Network have access to old black and white episodes that were made by different production companies such as Rediffusion for Series 1 & 2. The same problem occurred with Network's release of Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width as it originally started as ABC productions (or something) and then changed to Thames from Series 3 onwards. Network released all the Thames episodes but left off the surviving ABC episodes.

Indeed. It's to do with who holds the rights.

In this case, the sole other surviving episode - double-annoyingly, also the first ever episode, S01E01 - is held by the National Film and Television Archive. Perhaps there are issues with clearing costs for such titles; it would appear not to be a straight issue of copyright, as Network are promising PDFs of the scripts from Series 1 and 2. But perhaps the nature of contracts at the time mean the scripts are copyright to the writers exclusively, and it's only the actual recordings that were copyright of the production company or broadcaster.

Incidentally, Series 1 and 2 were actually made by David Paradine Productions for Rediffusion.

See Amazon product listing

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/4377/no_thats_me_over_here_dvd/