Monty Python Live Page 4

Wow...nice little surprise there in the Galaxy song.

Quote: Gluben @ 20th July 2014, 1:12 AM BST

It's rumoured that the guest for the final night, depending on practicalities, is hoped to be Stephen Hawking.

Oh my gosh, he is actually there - he was just there!

A fantastic evening. So glad I went. Incredible atmosphere for the guys.

I only saw a tiny bit of this last night. Caught the end of the Blackmail sketch which I rather liked, but would have been better if Mike Myers had been playing a character rather than just gushing. The sketch that followed this - some nonsense about a brontosaurus theory - was the very worst of Python. I started watching the Spanish Inquisition sketch (one of my faves from the original), but I just couldn't get into it. I turned off after that.

I am a great Python fan and I am old enough to remember watching (and loving) the shows when they were on the first time.

Watched some (but not all) of the Python live show on Gold last night.

I was expecting the worst (I don't like these sorts of shows where old rock stars/comedy stars go out and do their greatest hits - The Who singing "Hope I die before I get old" for example)

But I must say I was very impressed to be honest, and I liked the way they had linked the sketches into a sort of revue.

Also by having the young singers and dancers on stage with them it gave some "life" to the show while all the old farts stood around and did the sketches and sang the songs.

It seemed to me that Eric Idle seemed most at home with the whole thing, and I guess his experience of putting together Spamalot on Broadway and in London (and other places) gave him the background of how to put on a big show.

Palin seemed to love it, and so did Cleese, but Terry Jones struggled.

In the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch, when he had to deliver a complex line about where they had lived he got it wrong and seemed to get confused about what the others had said and what he had to say. He "sort" of got through it, but only just.

But rather annoyingly Gold did "censor" some parts and at one point they had a video of Palin dressed as a woman sitting in a chair talking about all sorts of things (sheep!) while the action went on behind him on stage.

They also buzzed out many lines from the "Isn't it awfully nice to have a penis" song by Eric Idle.

Funny thing is that my daughter was watching Hollyoaks the other day and I happened to be in the room. This was on at 7pm and I was shocked by what was shown that early.

They showed a man beating up his pregnant girlfriend because she is going to have a baby with Down's syndrome and he can't cope with that. They also showed his 14 year old daughter from a previous marriage trying to drug/poison him as she hates him. They showed another aggressive man pinning a woman to the wall by her throat.

They also have a storyline about a couple of gay men trying to start a relationship but one of them can't cope with sex because he was raped by another gay man when he was younger (and he keep getting flashbacks which they show). Then later in the show you see them having a gay kiss.

All this between 7pm and 7:30 pm.

And yet they censor Python because they make a few jokes about a penis !!!!

Strange eh.

But overall I do think the Python show looked good, though the man dressed as a kangaroo was embarrassing.

P.S. I should say that what made me love Python originally was not JUST the sketches but the way they weaved ideas through out the show (like the Spanish inquisiton or the "anagrams" episode). That took the shows above just a collection of sketches and made them stand out for me.

I wouldn't say kisses are post-watershed material, gay or otherwise! But I agree they have some horrible things on soaps, I wouldn't want my kids watching them.

I wasn't expecting to like the Python show as much as I did. Was especially happy that they included all my favourite songs. I didn't recognise all the sketches, since I've always been more into the films than the TV series, but I always love the 4 Yorkshiremen.

Quote: zooo @ 21st July 2014, 9:45 PM BST

I wouldn't say kisses are post-watershed material, gay or otherwise! But I agree they have some horrible things on soaps, I wouldn't want my kids watching them.

What do you let your kids watch?

I believe my imaginary progeny are very fond of zombie dramas.

Quote: Guilbert @ 21st July 2014, 7:51 PM BST

They showed a man beating up his pregnant girlfriend because she is going to have a baby with Down's syndrome and he can't cope with that. They also showed his 14 year old daughter from a previous marriage trying to drug/poison him as she hates him. They showed another aggressive man pinning a woman to the wall by her throat.

Just skimming through your post....which Python sketch was this? Maybe it was from the last series.

EDIT: Ah, wait a minute.....I see.....sorry.

I don't think it was great show, but it was lovely bit of nostalgia.
Reminded me of being little & listening to all the cassettes of Live at Drury Lane & Matching Tie & handkerchief etc.
It was many many years before they ever repeated the series again so my main & first memory were the albums, which are fantastic.

Although I see the "They only come up to your Knees" line was one of those removed from the new version of "I Like Chinese"

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 22nd July 2014, 10:53 PM BST

Although I see the "They only come up to your Knees" line was one of those removed from the new version of "I Like Chinese"

I was quite disappointed by that!

Laughing out loud
Haha
Me too.

There's Nine Hundred million of them in the world today
So you'd better get to like them, that's what I say.

I suppose Brian Cox would have just corrected him on the numbers

Literally caught just the closing number whilst surfing the box.
And I have to say - if that was representative of the show - then they really shouldn't have bothered.
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" was only ever funny because it was sung by people being crucified.
That was the joke.
Sung by a load of old geezers in cream tuxedoes it becomes exactly what it is - a lightweight ditty, and a perfect example of the show-bizzy, variety style of entertainment the Pythons set out to debunk.
Everyone - apart from Eric Idle, who was in his element - looked extremely uncomfortable.
And I don't blame them - I was certainly cringing.

If you just caught the end then you really did miss the best bits. The sketches were great, even better for the forgetting their places and corpsing which delighted the audience even more.
I especially like the way they had a nice dig at the Daily Mail during the Parrot sketch, Palin 'I used it for wrapping' :D

Hoping to go to the cinema broadcast of this. For some reason it's not until August here. I've only seen bits and pieces of Python, some I liked, some I didn't.
I was sort of a disappointed the first time I saw the dead parrot sketch. I'd heard about how it was meant to be really funny, then I saw it and I really didn't understand the fuss. I do like the Ministry of Silly walks though.