Derek - Series 2 Page 2

There's just one scene where Derek's dad talks him into writing his top 10 wishes and then everyone laughs it, including people who he thinks are his friends.

For me there's 2 reasons for that I think.

1 Gervais is literally incapable of writing kind and sympathetic characters and this is what passes for them.

2 Derek is Christ and he thinks he's Jesus and this conclusion is even stupider than the one where Rev got crucified.

You think they were laughing at his list in a mean way??

I don't particularly love Derek, it's my least favourite Gervais project and I think it's way too cloying and sentimental. But I don't think it's remotely mean spirited. I really think people have got too cynical if they can't recognise that.

Yes it kinda jumped out at me, it wasn't a warm isn't he nice laugh. That came at the very end of the list.

I can't see what charm will be left without Karl Pilkington. He could make an advert for loans for haemorrhoid operations charming.

Just had a look at Ricky's Twitter. He's thanking everyone for the overwhelming love Derek has received.

The man is the master of spin.

Well he's not going to apologise now is he.

And people like it, it's a soft spun, warmedy with pitiful characters you can feel sorry for and occasionally laugh at.

I agree the laughing at the list was mean rather than "bless him". Shame Karl's left. In my opinion the show would be so much better if Karl was the lead character and Derek was just supporting. Karl's character is far more funny and interesting than Derek.

I didn't see it but it got an awful one star review in the Daily Mail (yes I know!) calling Gervais "a sniggering playground bully!"

I actually laughed quite a lot at this first episode. Probably more than the entirety of the special/pilot and Series 1 combined.

And yes that laughter definitely seemed to be at Derek.

I can see there were definite jokes, even some good ones. But it was well like fishfingers in custard. They didn't fit, so I suppose a demented exsquaddie tormenting a learning disabled guy with stories of concentration camps, for the victims of man v chimp bestiality; is quite funny in a completely black satire like Britannia Hospital, or the chavvy, beautician with the tag removing gun for her shop lifted booty is pure Catherine Tate. But again just felt stranded in the gloopy sentiment.

I think part the problem is in the pilot Derek is clearly the butt of the jokes. We are absolutely, definitely meant to be laughing at him. And I think it created a sufficient shit storm, that they introduced Colin as the butt. Leaving the problem that the supposed focus and star, now wanders around like Jesus/St Francis of Assisi not doing very much at all.

I watched the last episode for about ten minutes and couldn't stand Gervais's dreadful, hammy acting for any longer.

Quote: beaky @ 25th April 2014, 10:36 AM BST

...couldn't stand Gervais's dreadful, hammy acting for any longer.

Yes, it's unbearable now. A smug Gervais thinks everything he touches turns to gold...but his "acting" is definitely limited. Playing a slightly disabled person isn't a walk in the park even for a method actor like Robert DeNiro...the lazy, unsensible acting of Gervais comes across like a piss take on the subject matter.

I tried watching this outtakes clip yesterday... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riNhJ_V8Eag. Even then I felt the urge to slap Ricky Gervais every five seconds.

Daniel Day Lewis could play Derek and it'd still be awful.

One minute they're talking about sex and all manner of filth then we cut to Derek crying over some old bint singing on a DVD. They go for the easy emotional angle every time and it jars with the rest of the "fun" taking place.

I do find the gurny face of Derek annoying. If he played Derek without the silly faces I think it'd be a lot stronger.

Anyway, very funny outtakes!

What about the voice he does.

I swear people like him in Derek because he resembles a big, fat, cat.

Complete and utter shite!