The Sitcom Mission 2014 Page 11

Ah, right. I can't believe some people leave submitting scripts right until the last minute.

Last second.

We get a nice mention in this blog from one of our new Level 2 students:

http://bellethreesixfive.com/2014/04/10/listening-to-the-universe/

And you can get 20% off the next round of courses starting in June if you book before the end of April:

http://www.city-academy.com/sitcom-writing-8-weeks#-TimetableBooking

Is there ANY easy to use script formatting package, anyone, please, for complete IT idiots like me? Tried Celtx but couldn't get it to save re-edits. Had to go back to tedious tab saving on Word and then it got jumbled up on sending because their version is all out of line when I look at it now. Thought I didn't have PDF at time but found it in a different place on the PC yesterday! It does look much neater on PDF anyway which doesn't ease my worries any.

Is there any way they could've changed Word script to PDF without having to manually realign it like I did? Ta in advance, cheers.

Google Drive is easier than Word, and works on more systems.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 19th April 2014, 5:11 PM BST

Is there ANY easy to use script formatting package, anyone, please, for complete IT idiots like me? Tried Celtx but couldn't get it to save re-edits. Had to go back to tedious tab saving on Word and then it got jumbled up on sending because their version is all out of line when I look at it now. Thought I didn't have PDF at time but found it in a different place on the PC yesterday! It does look much neater on PDF anyway which doesn't ease my worries any.

Is there any way they could've changed Word script to PDF without having to manually realign it like I did? Ta in advance, cheers.

Agree about Google a Drive being easier and if allows you to export as PDF.

Here's an example format for sketches, and I use the same style for sitcom (as I tend to write radio sitcom format) which I suspect is more than acceptable for most submissions.

Dan

Thanks, I just downloaded it, will have a look at it later. Embarrassed to say I'd seen it on my phone but thought it was Google's sat nav app. :$

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 19th April 2014, 5:11 PM BST

TBH the easiest way to get Word to PDF is use either an online WordToPDF converter or download a print driver like CutePDF, which allows to to 'Print...' In Word but it 'prints' a PDF file rather than on paper.

Dan

For a mission, it doesn't seem to be working.

More panel shows seem to be than sitcoms every year.

More relevantly more comedy dramas seem to be made than sitcoms.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 20th April 2014, 10:23 AM BST

For a mission, it doesn't seem to be working.

More relevantly more comedy dramas seem to be made than sitcoms.

Do you have any stats to back this up... seems highly unlikely.

Stats? This is a forum. Just seems there are more comedy drama than sitcoms.

Indeed, ignore stats! Lets not let the facts get in way of Barry from down the pub's opinion of telly comedy. If only there was a site like the BCG or something where you could look up right now how may sitcoms are on air and how many comedy dramas. Oh now... hang on! :)

According to this site's awards, for which all shows are nominated, there were 31 TV comedy dramas in 2013. There were 34 new TV sitcoms, 21 returning TV sitcoms and 37 radio sitcoms. I make that about 3 to 1 in favour of sitcom.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/awards/2013/

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 20th April 2014, 6:37 PM BST

Just seems there are more comedy drama than sitcoms.

I go along with that it 'seems to be'. You're getting a lot of listed sitcoms now which are really comdrams, Rev. being a good example, among many others. Nothing's changed to the dictionary definition, it's just the loggers and listers getting it wrong. Angry

Would anyone like to define 'sitcom'?